Wednesday, July 23, 2008

SIGNS OF THE TIME


Well, you can sure tell an election is coming up. The main drag in town is totally trashed out with political campaign signs….for county commissioner, state representative, state senator, and the like. I think it must take a confident person with a sizable ego and an even more sizable treasure chest to run for public office. I would never qualify. I don’t want to see my name plastered all over the highway, and I sure don’t want to pay for the privilege of littering. I haven’t seen any signage yet for the presidential race. That will probably kick in after the primaries in a few weeks.

I’m not much for campaign memorabilia, but I do have an “I Like Ike” button somewhere in my private stash, and I have a cool, antique ceramic mug from when Grover Cleveland was up for re-election in 1888. It features his picture, along with his running mate, A. G. Thurman. They won the popular vote but lost the electoral college numbers. Sound familiar, Al Gore? I suspect their defeat was because they both looked like constipated sour pusses on their campaign posters.

Over a hundred years ago, though, I suppose a stern visage likely meant to convey the gravity of the position. Possibly politicians didn’t care about looking like nice, friendly guys. They just wanted to look capable. Really not such a bad idea. So, on second thought, perhaps our current candidates might take a tip from Grover and company, wipe those fake smiles off their faces, and put up billboards that show themselves looking serious and ready to shoulder the nation’s problems. Maybe appearing in the throes of constipation is better than just being incompetently full of shit like some politicians tend to be…no names mentioned, of course. :)

For Wednesday, July 23, 2008, this is the Flaming Bore signing off. Good day.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for making me laugh. I can always count on your blogs to be entertaining.

Unknown said...

In response to your comments, thank you so much for your support. We are awaiting his ashes so we can do a celebration. He wanted his body donated to a university science center, which takes awhile for them to do their thing, then we can have the ashes. I think thats a lot of reason for no closure. Once we get those, then I am going to create a shadowbox or something incorporating them. Until then, I am left with nothing but memories!

Nancy Evans said...

Hmnmm. Now let's see, Tara. Just what was it that Monica was full of?????

dr. maureen said...

i know i could never be a politician---there are too many stories about college that you would sell to the National Enquirer!!!

why would people want to voluntarily have that kind of scrutiny of their lives? after all, we all have some wild-and-crazy skeletons in our closets....don't we/??

Anonymous said...

In California, the day after an election, all campaign posters are fair game. If you round them up and return them to the party's office, they pay you!!! I had a girl friend with a pick up in California and she and I used to make some serious cash picking up signs at 4am after an election. Course we used to deliver phone books too. Amazing what a little cash will make a gal do.