Monday, July 21, 2008

GEE WHIZ


Today I’m collecting pee!!

The urologist who removed my precious kidney stone ordered a follow-up 48-hour urine test. I thought this perhaps meant making little “deposits” periodically in jars over the course of two days, so I was quite taken aback Friday when this lab gal handed me two plastic one-gallon containers. They look like the jugs we use for our lawn mower gasoline…only they’re orange instead of red and the openings are bigger.
“You want that much pee?”

“Yep,” she said, “and it has to be refrigerated.”

“Oh, joy.”

I was going to begin the marathon on yesterday but postponed it after making plans to bring Mom to Casa Flaming Bore for the day. A good hostess does not subject guests to watching a jug of pee being hauled in and out of the kitchen every time the bladder calls. I whiz in a glass, pour the contents into the orange container, then put it in a plastic bag and back into the ‘fridge, next to the pickles and lasagna. Hopefully, I can keep Big Bore out of it.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Jeremy gets to fill those love jugs every 3 months for the rest of his life. So they can check his protein levels. So I know what you mean about keeping it in the fridge. He will kill me, but once I caught him going in the kitchen. Men can do those things. I stopped that quick.

Unknown said...

I am feeling pitty for you, really. First off, my husband would never have pee in the fridge. He is very anal about such germs and things. It would freak him out to no end. He would probably buy a little fridge to hold his pee for two days rather than put in the fridge!! I can't imagine how lucky you are!! I hated doing that when I was prego, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Hope ur computer is feeling better!

Nancy Evans said...

Oh, my! Every three months? Here's what I think I would do...buy one of those smaller insulated ice chests, throw in a bit of ice, and keep everything in the bathroom. That way, he doesn't have to bother going to the kitchen/refrigerator.

Dusti said...

Not fun! Sorry your computer is on the fritz, but maybe you'll find something good to read in the library?