Friday, July 25, 2008

STYLIN'

For some oddball reason, I’ve gotten into watching “Shear Genius” and “Project Runway” on Bravo Channel. Now, why I have even a smidgen of interest in shows about hairstyling and fashion designing is beyond me, since I’m just a ponytail/sweat pants kind of gal. Even Big Bore, if he’s awake, will sit and watch these shows with me and NOT complain or taunt me with the remote. He even makes comments about what he does and doesn’t like. Incredible. Must be the global warming.

The other night I jokingly told Big Bore his mussed-up hair looked like Albert Einstein’s, and within minutes he had dragged out a razor and buzzed away. Now he looks like--hmmm--well, not exactly “Shear Idiot”--but close.

But I digress. Back to our programs. What cracks me up about the contestants is that most of them have hairstyles from hell and dress like bag people. The other night, I applauded the choice the judges decided to cut on “Project Runway.” Any man who wears black shorts with a pair of red Crocs is not worthy of being the fashion world’s next big Versace.

I’m never too critical about the hairstyles or clothing actually created on these shows, though. I know how difficult it is to do such work. I can scarcely get a brush through my hair, and my seamstress work is pretty much limited to repairing crotch holes in pants. When I was enrolled in a sewing class in junior high, I once stashed home a pair of flannel pajamas I was making/ruining so Mama Bore could get ’em done for me. The teacher gave her an A.

So, I really do admire the “Genius”/“Runway” folks for at least trying to develop their skills--even though sometimes their talents seem to be hidden in a galaxy far, far, away.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Didn't you know. The bag lady look is in. Ha ha. Well you would think by looking at some of Hollywood.