Monday, July 14, 2008

MY POTLUCK

A few months ago, I decided that a summer potluck supper was in order for my high school graduating class, and I volunteered Mama Bore’s address as the “Where” part of the invitation. I actually sought her permission, sort of, although she had no choice but to give her okay since I whined so politely throughout the pleading of my case. “Pretty Pleeeeease??!!” The date was set for July 12, and the pot luckers would meet under her carport--rain or shine.

So, of course, it rained all day and night, but that didn’t seem to dampen the appetites or our moods to reminisce and update each other on what’s going on in our lives. One classmate had beautiful pictures of her recent trip to Ireland, another had just arrived home from a fantastic Alaskan cruise, and the Flaming Bore told about her exciting $850.00 ambulance ride to Wichita to get a kidney stone removed.

Pictures of grandchildren were fun to ooh and aah over, and it was great to hear about jobs, retirement, and future plans, but the best part of the gathering was the laughter. At one point, a certain gal pal, whom I sometimes called "Smaxy" when we were in junior high, giggled her very distinctive giggly giggle, and I experienced this déjà vu moment. We were suddenly back in her bedroom on 6th Street, laughing about boys. I then started paying closer attention to the laughter of others at the party. We may not look the same as we did 40+ years ago, but we sure do sound the same. You could have put everyone there behind a screen, had ‘em laugh one at a time, and I would have recognized the whole bunch.

I’m glad Mama Bore was an easy touch and allowed me to bring 21 old, friendly faces together again for an evening. And, you know what? As much trouble as it was for her to get the bathroom in order, round up kitchen supplies, and make the carport area presentable, I think she was truly glad to do it. After all, she hit the potlucky jackpot---two beautiful bouquets from appreciative guests and first dibs on the leftovers. She’ll be eating high on the hog (as in shaved ham) for the rest of the week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad all went well. I was certainly there in spirit. I ahd heard about the rain and wondered how it worked out. That was a pretty good turn out and hope you are pleased. Without you, none of us would be able to communicate at all and that is one of the real blessings of email now as we are entering retirement. And, for furture reunions you don't have to go to such PAINS to have a great story to tell!! I think one kidney stone is quite enough. Let someone else have the limelight next time. Thanks for doing all you do to keep our class in communication!!

Unknown said...

We won't know about the blood test until Thurs. when he goes to see his dr. Kenley's computer is an old compaq from Jason's work they were going to throw away. It just has the basics nothing exciting or too powerful. I will take a pic of her little setup and post it this afternoon.

Glad to hear you had a great time. IT sounds like you had a great time.

Sarah said...

I am glad you could get everyone togeather! It is hard when people spread out all over.