Thursday, July 24, 2008

PUZZLED

My favorite part of the daily newspaper out of Wichita is a section that’s labeled “DownTime.” Down time?? Talk about a misnomer! This page contains the Sudoku numbers puzzle, the cryptoquip, word jumble, and crossword puzzle. These little gems make my brain anything but down. When attacking them, I’m about as UP as I’ll be all day!

I start with the Sudoku. What the heck does that mean, anyway? Is it Japanese for torture? This puzzle gets harder as the week moves along, so by today, Thursday, I’m in a snit, and by Saturday I’ll be in a big fat ball of snit. If I don’t get it solved the first time around, I copy it off in larger format and start over. I give myself three tries…after that, I wave the white flag. I always finish the other three games--first time, every time--snitless.

Using a pencil and eraser to work on these so-called brain teasers is not the style of the Flaming Bore. That’s for wimps and losers. Pen only. It’s my way of being cocky and confident…and, (with all my scratched out trial-and-error corrections) sloppy. But, the Puzzle Police say, “Neatness does not count!” After all, it’s down time!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My FIL plays suduko all the time and he does the hardest ones with total ease. I don't get it and I think its more hectic than relaxing!

Anonymous said...

My pal Helen does Suduko. According to my buds who frequent Japan, we get the easy ones in America. they say the ones in the Japanese paper are brutal. Sum Snap on Fitbrains.com is a challenge for me. Now the word games I am solid with. High Margin and I both take our Scrabble and FitBrains seriously. These games are nothing to relax about but tension producing. course, when I observed High Margin's hand shaking over a game of Risk about 40 years ago, I knew I'd found my man!! Be sure and read the science behind the games on FitBrains and you will see how much good you are doing to stymie aging when you play these amusements.