Wednesday, July 16, 2008

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT?


The only magazine I subscribe to is Entertainment Weekly…this in spite of the fact that it’s been over a year since I’ve been to a movie theater, and I’ve purchased only one CD in the last year--and that was Gerry Rafferty’s “City to City,” which debuted in 1978. I continue to get this magazine year after year so I can be “with it.” I may never get to be close, personal friends with Angelina Jolie, but, by gum, I’m going to be well-informed on what oddball name she’s given to her latest adopted child. And, of course, it’s always good to know which rap artist is wearing what bling.

Probably the most relevant section to me in EW is “TV-What to Watch: A Day-to-Day Guide to Notable Programs.” In this week’s issue, a review on a new show that debuted last night caught my eye. Hurl! The premise is: Contestants gorge on something disgusting, like rhubarb pie or chili mac, then take a ride on the Ball of Hurl. This is described as a dizzy-inducing sphere that “is designed to induce upset stomachs.” (Excuse me while I pause here. Nausea is setting in and I must compose myself.) Whoever eats the most and purges last is declared the winner. Sounds like a loser to me.

Well, I wondered if EW was just making up this review as a ruse to its readership, so I decided to check out this new “notable program” on the Internet. Sure enough, there it was…featured on Channel G4, whatever that is. The G must stand for Garbage. Or Gross. Safe to say, I didn’t tune in, but I don’t know which makes me feel worse…the fact that this program passes for entertainment or that someone is actually making big money for creating this crap. It makes me just wanna, well, ....hurl!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That does sound pretty gross and sad. Heck, what that in mind, we could create a tv show better than that. I miss our rat terrorizing adventures would surely get more viewers than that. Its almost as bad as The Greatest American Dog show. ITs like big brother only with dogs added. I love dogs but think the show is a sham!

Sarah said...

I am a reality TV junky, but this is a show I will probably skip. I say probably because I have weak moments and am always up to watch someone make a fool of themselves on national TV.

Nice.

dr. maureen said...

wait a minute...i make both rhubarb pie and chili mac (maybe not at the same time) and i don't think they are gross....of course in enough quantity, even chocolate ice cream is gross

Nancy Evans said...

M2----WELL, THE GROSS PART IS WHEN IT COMES BACK UP! I WAS JUST IMAGINING WHAT FOODS WOULD LOOK REALLY HIDEOUS WHEN UPCHUCKED AND RHUBARB PIE AND CHILI MAC FIRST CAME TO MIND--HA!

Dusti said...

I agree completely - gross! I used to take EW but now I prefer the more gossipy rags they have at the supermarket stands. When I used to have an extra $3 I would pick those up sometimes. Now when I have an extra $3 I treat myself to the candy a little further around the corner!