Thursday, April 30, 2009

ANOTHER PROGRESS REPORT

After the weather decided to quit being so drippy yesterday, I went outdoors to check on what's growing in the yard. I make these pilgrimmages several times a day, just to make sure I don't miss out on anything--especially evil weeds. Here are a few pictures for you lovers of flora. The iris above was among some divided bulbs my brother-in-law Ken gave us a few autumns ago.

Here's the driveway entry garden. The Mexican feather grass returned, in spite of what the gals at the nursery predicted. The three mums are also popping up again. I've never planted marigolds before, so we'll see how well they cooperate. I threw a few zinnia seeds in this area last week. To be continued.

This is a tiarella. It is Big Bore's favorite plant in our elm tree circle garden.

This is a fern called Athyrium and a heuchera called Midnight Rose. They are in the same plot as the tiarella. It also has lamium, two lilies of the valley my friend Maggie gave me, ivy, and a bunch of white impatiens and white verbena that I hope will start spreading.

The tulips, hyacinths, and daffodils have come and gone but the strawberries are blooming, peonies are budding, and there are many other underground goodies that have yet to make their appearance. Big Bore is growing onions, potatoes, bell peppers, tomatoes, asparagus, green beans, black-eyed peas, pumpkins, ornamental corn, turnips, and who knows what else. It's always fun to see what springs up in spring!