Thursday, April 9, 2009

MY RICHIE BAY SHIRT


I’ve been doing some interior painting recently, which called for dragging out my Richie Bay shirt.

Richie Bay was a college acquaintance who definitely marched to the beat of a different drummer. He was a hippie-dippy art major who publicized himself by silk-screening his image on cut-rate T-shirts. To own a “Richie” was a privilege--in my world.

The hovel in which Richie lived off campus was decorated with breast prints. Basically, Richie had just lined the walls with newsprint. He would have female friends come over, take off their tops, paint 'em up, and have them press up to the paper. Voila! Instant art! He wanted to do me in metallic blue. I was too much of a prude. Today, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

I don’t know whatever became of Richie. He was a New Yorker, I think. And he had a big mouth that rarely was quiet, so surely someone has heard from him. I do know where the 40-year-old Richie Bay T-shirt is--in my closet. It’s a good shirt to put on when painting and making messes in general. The holes and stains on it make no difference. Richie would be probably be proud to know that his green gaze is still crazy looking after all these years.

Here’s to you, Richie. I wish I had let you do that breast print. Metallic blue is one of my favorite colors!

4 comments:

Jaime said...

What a good story! I love eccentric people like that!

dr. maureen said...

WOW!! i forgot all about Richie Bay!! I remember the breast prints. I remember that he wanted to get your boob art---I don't think I was ever honored with a request!!!!---but in the back of my mind I seem to remember being at a party at his house....(repressed memories, in case I ever run for public office, I'm sure). I even googled him but couldn't find anyone who sounded like the grown-up version!!!

Paint on!!

Anonymous said...

I'd love this guy!!! I would have done it. Why don't you google him??

Mott Signs said...

I got here by Googling Richie Bay/Richard Beige. You must have been at PSU? The last thing I remember seeing of Richie was an article in the KC Star/Times in the late 70s or early 80s maybe. I seem to remember someone telling me sometime that Richie had passed away. It might have been Bruce Barsh if you remember him. I hope I'm wrong. Bruce sadly has passed away. Anyone remember his wife's name? I didn't get a T shirt but I have one of Richie's breast prints and that sexualized Teddy Bear he was doing.

Cameron Mott