Friday, April 24, 2009

CAT SCRATCH FEVER

Casa de la Flaming Bore has recently turned into a pet hospital. Critter has a urinary tract infection, so for 21 days she’s starting each morning with a mouthful of amoxycillin, which gives her a hissy fit.

The first time I tried to administer the dosage, I asked Big Bore to hold her while I pried open her mouth and shoved in the syringe of yummy pink stuff. She only weighs nine pounds. This ought to be easy. Right? Well, not according to Critter, who totally resisted the idea. I finally got the medicine down her, but not before BB’s belly got clawed--a 6-inch gash. He didn’t get mad at her, though, probably because Critter is his “baby,” but I felt guilty that I hadn’t kept her under better control. Now, not only did I have a sick cat to tend to, but I also had a wounded human to treat.

“Here. Let me put some alcohol on it,” I said, grimacing at the bloody scratch.

“That’s going to burn like hell!” he protested.

“Oh, bite the bullet and suck it up. I don’t want you to get an infection.”

He obeyed and took it like a man. Since then, though, I’ve been administering Critter’s meds solo while BB is at work. I don’t want to risk anymore “Me-Ouch”-ing from the Big Bore. I can only deal with one whiner at a time.

Open wide and get well, little Critter. I hope your UTI isn't contagious.

6 comments:

dr. maureen said...

nanc

wrap her in a towel or blanket with only her head out (we call it "mummifying"), then you can stabilize her body and have claws safely covered. work the syringe in the side of the mouth, inject the contents then blow on her nose/face---this stimulates a swallow reflex.

i don't have problems giving my animals meds because i've practiced on some many babies and toddlers!!

Unknown said...

Have fun with that!! That happened to one of our dogs after Jade passed, they said it can be caused by stress. I can't imagine giving it to a cat, our lab was hard enough.

Sarah is being induced today. Baby H is on his way!

Sarah said...

I hate dealing with sick kids, pets or men. LOL. they are all babies.

the towel idea worked for me when we clip nails.

Nancy Evans said...

I didn't know about the blowing bit. I'll try it tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

On the Cat, Nancy!!

Nancy Evans said...

Oh,Diva, you are such a witty one!!