Thursday, April 23, 2009

THE GREAT OUTDOORS



The camping/hiking trip to Devil’s Den State Park, Arkansas, was a merry time. Big Bore made terrific campfires and the headband lights we bought for the cave worked well. The only rough spot was the air mattress we used for sleeping in the tent. It’s a nice one with its own pumping device that is simple to use. But here was the problem: Big Bore said we wouldn’t want it aired to the max.

“We’ll slide off of it.”

I was skeptical, but willing to give it a try. After all, he’s the Eagle Scout and I bombed out of Brownies.

Well, that first night was like being on a waterbed during the sinking of the Titanic. Every time he moved, I went rolling out to sea. He agreed he’d made a bad call, and the next night we slept much better on a totally pumped-up mattress. Everything else went pretty well. The hiking weather was perfect and we got a nice workout.
Above are some cave pictures. We didn't make it all the way to the end--the spring rains made it damp and slippery inside, and BB and I were not willing to risk a nasty full-body slide into some dark hole. Next, we have Fire and Water:
These last two are some scenery shots. I'm not sure what the pink flowers are--maybe azaleas? Whatever they are, I sure wish they were growing in my yard!!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Funny about the bed! Yeah ours always seem to leak in the middle of the night and then we are too lazy to air it back up...by morning we are touching the floor with a rim of air all around us.. NICE.

the pics are beautiful. glad you had fun

Jaime said...

WOW! Gorgeous pics & it sounds like quite the adventure!!!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I agree with Sarah, ours always deflate in the night leaving us sleeping on the ground by morning. lol

Anonymous said...

Yes, my dear, those are azaleas. I used to have a front yard full of all different verieties in CT. Miss them. Glad you had a great time. I love caves. My favs are in Mexico where safety standards are unheard of and the ladders are quite rickety but they turn the lights out so you can experience total darkness, sometimes just when the elec. goes out. Love those headlamps for all sorts of nighttime outdoor activities as prevents falling on the way back to the car at night. And you can read!!! I gave up air matresses at 55. Except when snuggling in front of the fireplace with the grandgirls and that one is a queen size that is comfie. Great vaca. Love those pics.