Saturday, January 1, 2011

THE BEST RESOLUTION

Happy New Year!! I didn't quite make it to midnight, but I saw the televised New Year's celebrations in Dubai (wherever the heck that is!), London, and New York City, so I sort of felt like I was in on the excitement in a party pooper-ish sort of way.

I've lived through 60+ New Years, and the only one I can even slightly recall was 1980. I was in Kansas City with Dr. Maureen, her mannequin Sheila (wearing only a black fur jacket and a man's hat), and we were at someone's home near The Plaza. I was drinking way too many glasses of champagne with Gary the Colorado Writer, with whom I was somewhat smitten at the time.

But it was the solo drive back to M's house after the party that was the most memorable because it was the first and last time I ever drove under the influence of alcohol. The route winded down through the Plaza and up Ward Parkway, and I became goofier and goofier with every curve. I felt like I was having an out-of-body experience. Part of me wanted to stop, but the other light-headed part said I should just keep going. Some little guardian angel must have taken over the driving because my handling of the steering wheel seemed non-existent. My head felt like I was riding in a Tilt-A-Whirl and not a car.

When I somehow arrived at M's place, all in one piece, I swore, "Never again!" And I haven't. It was one New Year's Resolution that I have forever kept--and probably the most important.
So, now that I have told on myself--confession is good for the soul, you know, Happy 2011! May all your travels be safe ones.

2 comments:

dr. maureen said...

you know, i just sort of vaguely remember that---so i must have been in worse shape than you were.
what ever happened to Gary the Colorado writer???? (we were truly journalist groupies)

Nancy Evans said...

He is the public relations officer for the hospital in Fort Collins. I can't recall how you got home!