Sunday, January 30, 2011

LAZY, PUZZLING SUNDAY


I have totally frittered away this cold, lazy day--mainly by rummaging through the Sunday newspaper. I always grab for the sports section first, while Big Bore reads all the important news and the editorial page. He's also the Official Coupon Clipper-Outer at our house.

After reading about my beloved Jayhawks (who just happened to have whupped up all over K-State last night), I started attacking the puzzles--two crosswords, word jumble, cryptoquip, and something numerically maddening called Hidato. I usually begin with the latter, but it is soooooo darned difficult today that I'm going to have to start over and then use a pencil--a sure sign of being a puzzle wuss. Usually I use a pen and then gloat over my success. Not today. Hidato has chewed me up and spit me out.

In between having fits with the puzzles, I've been reading a who-done-it. Mystery books are sort of like doing puzzles--I'm always trying to figure out the guilty party and the motive. I'm rarely on the mark early on, but it's always fun to make guesses--right or wrong.

It is now time to quit avoiding the inevitable and hop on the exercise bike. If I don't do it now, then bedtime will soon be here and I will have spent the entire day on brain work. Now, don't get me wrong. Exercising the brain is important, but it doesn't burn calories--as far as I know. I've tried reading and doing puzzles while riding the bike, but I get all goofy-eyed and give up. I do, however, hop on the bike during basketball time-outs and at halftime, so I can expend some nervous energy, although last night's game was a swear-less walk in the park. Enough of the rambling and delaying what needs to be done. The next 30 minutes will be puzzle-free. I have a date with the pedals.

No comments: