Saturday, January 29, 2011

HAVING THE HOTS


Mother Nature played a grand trick on us yesterday and blessed us with a temperature that flirted with a balmy 70 degrees. As soon as I finished a Garden Club activity at the grade school and helped Big Bore take our trash to the recycle center, I was ready to soak in the warm rays all afternoon. "It may not be this nice again for two months," I told BB.

First off was the maiden ride for my brand new Townie Electra 3-speed, complete with rear basket! In my former bike-riding life, I used to put my carry-all items in a plastic bag and then hope to God I didn't lose control of the steering. Now, I am just like evil Miss Gulch in The Wizard of Oz. I am even thinking of putting my Toto stuffed dog in the basket, just for a special effect. Big Bore went with me on the bike ride, since we got Old Red overhauled. We went about five miles before pooping out. Not exactly Bike-Across-Kansas material, but maybe we'll extend our endurance and build up some butt callouses over time.

Next, lunch on the patio. Then piddling in the yard. Then reading on the front porch, with the afternoon sun shining onto the pages. We brought Bits and Critter outside for a while, too, but strictly with lap supervision. Then more yard piddling. Aaaaahhhhh! What a lovely day! Just enough to make one think that spring is waiting around the corner, but we're not betting money on it--so the long underwear isn't getting cached away any time soon. In a few days snow will be falling again, and the coats will get dragged back out of the closet.

January is almost over. Thank-you, Mother Nature for the sneak preview of Spring.

No comments: