Wednesday, March 25, 2009

ART ATTACK

I’m headed out to Wichita today to scope out a new hobby. One of my New Year’s Resolutions was to take a class in something artsy, so I have decided to try to learn how to work with stained glass. Note the emphasis on try. There’s supposedly a one-day workshop set for April 25th at this glassworks store, so I think I’m going to live dangerously and sign up. I don’t have any unrealistic, cockeyed aspirations to be able to create cathedral windows; making a little sun catcher would be nice, though.

Now, I am not exactly what you’d call an artistic person. I struggled through two years of junior high art classes, one of the lowlights of my educational career. A close examination of my 7th grade report cards show semester A’s in everything except art, where I squeaked out a C-. About all I recall making were a pencil drawing of a penny loafer, which was not bad--at least the teacher could tell it somewhat resembled a shoe--and two of the absolute ugliest ceramic pieces you’ve ever seen in your life. One was a parallelogram-shaped, spotted banana peel-colored thing, for lack of a better word. The other was a blue pot made of coil strips. It was supposed to be smooth and symmetrical, but mine was lumpy and off kilter (sort of like me!). I tried to improve its appearance by cutting out cool words and phrases from magazines and Scotch taping them to the big blue lump. Stuff like: “Wow!” “Far Out!” “In a funk?” “I love The Beatles.” Profound. I wish I knew what happened to these masterpieces. I suspect Mama Bore put them out of their misery as soon as I ran off to college.

Anyway, I’m going to see if I can cut it working with stained glass, although I fear the only cutting is going to be to my hands. Perhaps I’ll create a new art form? Blood-stained glass.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you will do great. You have the creativity to pull it off, so go for it girl! Can't wait to read about the adventure.

Sarah said...

Oh stained glass is so beautiful. My parents had a neighbor who did stained glass and Lacey learned some with her.. It is neat stuff. I can't wait to see what you create.

Jaime said...

Oh, that sounds so fun! I always wanted to do it! They have a class at Butler, but it gets pretty pricey, pretty quickly...