Thursday, March 19, 2009

DANCING WITH THE DAFFODILS

I’m off to take Mama Bore to the doctor and don’t have time to write, so today I’m borrowing from my personal poet pal William (“Billy,” to his friends) Wordsworth (1770-1850) to accompany a vase of daffodils (real) presently on display at Casa de la Flaming Bore. Enjoy! We’re only one day away from Spring!

"Daffodils" (1804)

I wander’d lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,

Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretch'd in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.


The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought

What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,

And dances with the daffodils.

4 comments:

Jaime said...

I'm so jealous! Those daffodils are gorgeous!

Apparently, no previous tenants have planted any perennials in our yard :(

I left a nice flower garden at my old house. I hope someone's enjoying it!

Dusti said...

Gorgeous picture. I love the blue you have on your walls, too. I'll bet you're already enjoying that nice back yard and front porch spring. I heart Spring. Love to you and Mama Bore.

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite entry from your BLOG of all time!! I'd take you a pic of the snow on the mts surrounding us right now, but what is the point. We are supposed to get another foot or two Dunday night. Meanwhile, I just found out my Six Word Memoir is going to be published.

Nancy Evans said...

WELL, DIVA, WORDSWORTH THANKS YOU!!