Tuesday, March 10, 2009

WHAT'S IN A NAME?

I spent yesterday afternoon in Wichita with my childhood gal pal Maggie. It was sort of a belated birthday get together, as she recently hit the big 6-0. Not wanting to wallow alone in her ancient age, she gave me an early birthday card, four months in advance. It was a cool Fancy Nancy card.

If you don’t know Fancy Nancy, you must go to a bookstore or library and get acquainted. She can be found in the children’s department. Nancy is a diva in training who tries to impress others by dressing up in frilly duds, wearing a tiara, hanging out with a posh pup, and occasionally speaking in French. But underneath the façade is just a plain ol’ klutzy kid. I love Fancy Nancy because we share the same name and we both have the uncanny ability to make a grand mess out of just about everything.

Fancy Nancy is one of the Big Four of Literary Nancys. There’s also Nancy Drew, Girl Detective; Nurse Nancy of Little Golden Books fame, and comic heroine Little Nancy, the perplexed, chunky chick friend of Tubby Tompkins. I take pride in having the same name as these wonderful book babes. I’ve never solved a crime or saved a life, but I can sort of relate to Little Nancy since she’s usually pissing and moaning about something trivial. It’s Fancy Nancy, though, who truly has my heart with her goofball escapades. If you haven’t yet become friends with the newest of Nancys, you must make it a point to do so. Ooh la la! Mademoiselle Fancy is tres magnifique!

2 comments:

Jaime said...

I hadn't heard of Fancy Nancy, but I can definitely relate to her, too!

Sarah said...

CUTE! Sounds like your name is the name of choice. I always knew you were a Fancy Nancy. ;)