Sunday, March 6, 2011

MARCH MADNESS HAS BEGUN

Hell hath no fury like basketball fans scorned!! Yesterday during the last four minutes of the exciting, butt's-on-the-edge-of-my-couch game between Kansas and its most despised rival of all time Evil Missouri, a number of CBS affiliate stations across the nation switched to other games that were just getting started. Even people in Kansas City missed seeing the finale of what is known as The Border War, although The Flaming Bore was lucky to get to see the entire game. (Had I not, you would have heard me roaring naughty words into neighboring countries. Yes, Tara, even Canada!)

"We were told by CBS that the problem was caused by sun spots," twittered the KC station manager. "The problem will not happen again."

Well, the fans weren't buying it. Hundreds of comments poured into kusports.com in no time, and some were so funny that I just had to share. Fasten your seatbelt, because this is a bumpy one:

"Gee, did the sun spots tell (sportscaster) Greg Gumbel's brain to have him say, 'We're now cutting to the start of the Michigan-Michigan State game.'?"

"I hear the BS train a coming!"

"I must be at a cattle ranch. I smell bullsh**t!"

"I can only assume that the idiot at the station's controls is named Sun Spots."

"A better excuse would be: 'My dog ate my satellite feed.'"

"I used sun spots as an excuse once before. She dumped me."

"Sounds like a Men in Black explanation."

"Damn sun! I'm never staring at it again."

"It beats watching a re-run of Moonstruck."

"Sun spots? As Jon Lovitz used to say on Saturday Night Live: That's the ticket!"

"If it was sun spots, why didn't we hear Katie Harmon (KCTV-5 weather gal) get on there and warn us, 'Sun spots! We're all gonna die! Get your helmets out of the garage and head for the basement!'"

"Why didn't they just blame it on Dolly Parton's boobs or Adrian Brody's nose?"

"This opens up a whole new world of excuses. Whenever I screw up my job and generally fail in life, I can blame sun spots!"

"No wonder Charlie Sheen is whining about CBS."

(from WilburNether): "Kansas City deserves this."

"Wilbur, you deserve leprosy."

Oh, it went on and on and on and got pretty vicious. And I did feel sorry for poor Dr. Maureen, who had driven hours to join other KU alums at an establishment in Charlotte (better know as Shah-lut) NC, to watch the game together. What a flippin' bummer!

The actual March Madness, aka: NCAA basketball championship tournament, begins on the 15th. The Flaming Bore hopes CBS can sign a deal with the sun to get it to cooperate. We don't want anymore spotty coverage.
Go 'Hawks!!!




5 comments:

dr. maureen said...

i've already sent 2 complaints to CBS about this. also thought the announcers were idiots, don't do their research on players,etc. call Elijah Johnson "Elijah Morris" and said they couldn't tell the Morris twins apart except for their tattoos. Well, it's well known that the twins have identical tattoos. I can tell them apart because: (a) different sideburns (b) one's jersey said Mc Morris, the other's Mk Morris; (c) THEY HAVE DIFFERENT NUMBERS on those jerseys, DUH!!! (can you tell i was very annoyed???!!!

Nancy Evans said...

Yes, I thought the announcers, whoever they were, needed some schooling from Bobby Knight. Oh, didn't you know that Elijah has legally changed his last name to Morris? Mrs. M has adopted him :). Yeah, I thought the tattoo remark was funny, too. I would love to see some pics of the twins when they were little whips. I bet they were cuties. Let me know what you hear back from your friends at CBS. Did you mention in your complaint that you used to work for a CBS affiliate? Drop some names? Larry Meachum? Arlo Chapman? It wouldn't surprise me if Bob Sullinger is a CBS bigwig.

Unknown said...

I heard you, and I was yelling too!! The audio was horrible, the picture even in HD looked like crap, and cutting out the last few minutes of the game sent me over the edge!! It was a very piece of shit job by CBS all the way around. But, on the brighter side, UNC WON!!!

Nancy Evans said...

Hey, T, I watched UNC put the nail into the Duke coffin at the end. Knew you'd be happy. Of course, that game was on ESPN, so the coverage was good. One of the other comments on kusports.com that I forgot to put in my blog: "I bet there won't be any sun sports during the Duke-UNC game." :)

Angela said...

KCTV5's FB page is still filling up with hateful comments, threatening boycotts, etc. All the other local news stations were even making fun of that lousy excuse on air during their broadcasts yesterday, pointing out that they didn't have any problem staying with their chosen coverage for the afternoon, sunspots or no. And apparently that sun spot problem zeroed in directly on us here in KC, as Topeka, Wichita and St. Louis were all able to resume coverage of the regional game within a few seconds. The local station manager has trotted out no less than three different excuses for the problem, all of which are clearly bogus. They're catching just as much heat - if not more - for not owning up, admitting the mistake, and apologizing as they are for the initial problem. It's a city-wide joke at this point. Yep, should be fun at that staff meeting this morning!