Wednesday, April 13, 2011

LITTLE BOY PINK

Every television news program I've turned to this morning is gaggling about this new JCrew ad that features a mom painting her little boy's toenails pink. "I'm so glad I have a boy who loves pink!" the ad says.

Well, you'd think she just stuck a live grenade in his hand, the way some people are reacting. He's going to be gender confused or he'll grow up to be gay or the world will make fun of him for the rest of his natural life. Lock that mother up and throw away the key. Talk about much ado about nothing. It must be a slow news day.

One of my old high school students, a boy, delighted in caring for his fingernails. He'd paint them in the school colors, red and blue, and he didn't care a flying flip if anyone made fun of him...which I doubt they did since he was the school's best athlete of the decade. When I drew his name for the yearbook staff Christmas gift exchange, it was easy to buy for him. Nail polish and an emery board. He was thrilled. He's now married, with two daughters, and I suspect he's a gem of a dad.

I don't think polishing a little boy's toenails pink, blue, green or any other color of the rainbow is going to ruin his life. And if the little boy in this JCrew ad does end up being gay, so what? There are a lot worse ways he could turn out...like being a narrow-minded busy-body know-it-all who who should find more important issues to be concerned about.


5 comments:

dr. maureen said...

+1

Unknown said...

And I always got in trouble for painting them in class. lol....

And so what if he does turn out gay, is that the end of the world as a Mom? I surely hope not.

Nancy Evans said...

Yeah, T, I thought this might strike a bell with you, but I don't recall sending you to the detention room. You got into more trouble for getting into the rubber cement! : )

Unknown said...

Rubber cement is the best...That reminds me, I need to restock my supply. LMAO. Only kidding...But I do have a fascination with that stuff.

Angela said...

I remember both the nail polish and the rubber cement fascination. I also remember that boy knocking on our front door at least once asking to borrow my (glittery) red and blue polish. There was a track meet or game or something the next day that he wanted it for and it was of course too late at night to be able to buy it anywhere in that town. I guess I was the closest probable source. Hadn't thought about that in a long time. Thanks for the smile! :)