Monday, April 4, 2011

NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH

"You're going down now!" threatened the voices approaching our backyard yesterday.


Big Bore and I had just finished re-seeding the lawn and he was arranging the hose--the kind with the fountain attachment that has lots of little holes in it. Around the spruce tree, I spotted the bodies that went with the voices: the two little neighborhood boys. Run for your life!!

The two are probably 4 and 3 years old and just as cute and ornery as can be. Earlier in the day they had a blast assaulting me with their water pistols while I was digging up weeds in the side yard. I played along with their silliness, and then they ran off in search of another "victim." But now they were back--this time with MORE water pistols and giggling that they were REALLY going to get me now. As if I hadn't "suffered" enough the first time around.

Except they didn't know I had my sidekick ready to defend me. I greeted them at the backyard gate to welcome them inside, ready to take their best shots, when SPLASH!!! Big Bore turned the hose spray onto them. Scream, scream, run, run, but, of course, being little boys they just HAD to come back for more and more and more.

They were having the best time, although by the end of their water battle I wasn't so sure how their moms were going to feel about it--especially if the boys didn't ask for towels upon entering their homes when they went to re-fill their water guns. Something tells me they probably didn't.

No comments: