Saturday, June 25, 2011

GO AWAY!!!

When I was out biking last night, I pedaled by the former home of a former student and started laughing to myself. After my divorce 10+ years ago, her father showed up at my front door one morning. It was 7:15 AM on a school day, and I was rushing around fixing my hair, half-dressed, trying to get to work on time--and here's this stranger, a cup of coffee in hand, SHIRTLESS, saying his daughter had suggested he introduce himself to me since he was new in town. At 7:15 in the morning? Without a shirt? Did he really expect me to welcome him inside? "Sure, come on in, sit down and drink your coffee, and tell me all about yourself."

I blurted out something about needing to get off to school and that I had a policy that I didn't socialize with students' parents or anyone in the county, for that matter. Goodbye. It was the truth and better than screaming: "What in the world are you thinking???" He never showed up again, shirtless or pantless. Thank god for large favors.

On the heels of that recollection, another post-divorce headshaker came to mind. I once received a written request for a date from a bachelor rancher who had heard about me from someone...maybe his minister? I can't remember. Anyway, he'd crafted a really awful two-page letter about who he was and how lonely he was. Yikes! I was too afraid to respond, so I just pitched the masterpiece, hoping he'd take the hint. Which he did. Another bullet dodged.

My next bike ride better not jolt back any more memories of my years as the eligible divorcee about town. I might fall onto the street laughing.

2 comments:

dr. maureen said...

i think you should have gone out with the farmer.....he probably would have given you a barn you could have filled with barn cats

Nancy Evans said...

THAT'S ALL I NEED ARE MORE CATS! AND IT'S RANCHER, NOT FARMER. AROUND HERE, THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE. : )