Saturday, June 11, 2011

REST IN PEACE

Sweet Neighbor Girl showed up at my front door yesterday in a bundle of tears. She had found her new kitty lying dead in her family driveway, and it wasn't long before I shed my own tears for her. She'd only had the cat for three weeks, but it just as well have been a lifetime. Attachments form quickly when you have a soft heart for blue-eyed fur balls. "I loved Leo like he was my own baby," she said. Oh, do I know that feeling. I have a cat on my lap right now.

There was nothing I could say to ease her sorrow, so when she told me her pet would be buried with the get-well card I'd made after its trip to the vet clinic last week, I suggested we also include the picture I'd taken of her and her kitty so they'd always be together. I got on the computer and printed it up, then went over to pay my respects. More tears.

Last night when I was out for a walk, I remembered that I have an angel kitty pin like the one above that I'd set aside to give to a friend if the time ever came. It comes with a little poem:

"Wear this special angel pin as a symbol of your love
for your precious little pet protected from above."

I will take it over to Sweet Neighbor Girl today and we'll get teary-eyed all over again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

really should put a tissue warning for these things. gosh....glad you are there for her to help ease her pain. losing a pet is not easy. I haven't lost a cat yet, but I assume it no different than losing a dog. She will always remember what you did for her.

Nancy Evans said...

Yep, just like your dogs. Part of the family.

dr. maureen said...

you are the best