Wednesday, June 1, 2011

IN THE SORRY EYES OF THE BEHOLDER

People in the big metropolis to the west, Wichita, are up in arms over the recent city commission decision to use $350,000 in tax funds to purchase a sculpture for the downtown Water Walk area--and I don't blame them. The proposed ball of steel looks like the Walking Magnet Monster or maybe a creature from War of the Worlds. Take your pick. According to the creator of this dastardly design, it's supposed to represent the natural beauty of Wichita. If that's the case, then instead of being dubbed the Air Capitol of the Kansas it needs to be re-named the Junkyard of the Galaxy.

I have a proposal. Give me $350,000 and I, The Flaming Bore, who has absolutely no formal training in art, will gladly create a sculpture for the City of Wichita that looks better than this one. All I'd have to do is pick up a bunch of crap around the house, basement, and garage, attach it together with a rope, and voila!! Instant representation of natural beauty. Actually, I would probably charge less than $350,000. Maybe $250,000. I come cheap.

No comments: