Tuesday, August 26, 2008

BOOK HER, DANNO!

Okay, arrest me. I am a cheater. I'm so ashamed of myself. Last week I started reading Stephen King's latest tome, Duma Key, 600+ pages long, and after I got halfway through I sneaked onto the Internet, found a super synoposis, and "innocently" read ahead. When I was teaching, I always chastised students who did this, and now I'm guilty of the same crime.

Of course, I have a legitimate reason/excuse for being a reading miscreant. The last time I participated in a King marathon (The Cell--a story about cell phone zombies) I got all ticked off because the last 200 pages or so were such a confusing letdown. I didn't want to waste my precious time on Duma Key, only to experience a repeat performance.

Well, after finding out what happens, I returned to the book, forged ahead, and finished it last night. I guess I feared retribution if I didn't consume all 607 pages. It's not safe to get on King Stephen's bad side. I'll take Duma Key back to the Library Lady later today, make my confession to her, and ask for absoultion. But you know what? After the spot on page 445 where something freaky happened in the story, and I was so absorbed in the book that I didn't know Big Bore was home, and he walked into the living room announcing he was back, and I jumped outta my seat, and screeched, and about wet my pants, well, it was a confusing letdown.








8 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm telling the teacher!!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

I actually didn't care for the book.

Nancy Evans said...

Well, Diva, I wouldn't read it again, but I did think it was better than The Cell. Every time I read one of his books, I always swear it will be the last time!

Jaime said...

Ok ladies, since it sounds like you have a good love/hate relationship for Mr. K let me know if I should or shouldn't.....

I just got a copy of his old book Desperation, just haven't decided I'm ready for a 690pg. undertaking.

Should I send him to GoodWill for another bored soul or is it worth the read??

Nancy Evans said...

Haven't read that one. Sorry. Have you checked out any reviews on the Internet?

Nancy Evans said...

Haven't read that one. Sorry. Have you checked out any reviews on the Internet?

Anonymous said...

Jaime, Haven't read it but know it is quite negative about Fallon, NV. Evidently, King failed to know the reason for it's existance is the Top Gun school nearby. Amazon.com gives the book four stars out of five from many reader reviews. I personally recommend Pillars of the Earth if you want a good investment of time in a long read. I think the FB and I are more liking of King's early works than his later. And yes, the Cell was indeed a Real Bore!!

Jaime said...

Thanks for the input! I may use it as a doorstop for a while longer, while working up the gumption to commence! (j/k I would never use a book as a doorstop ;)