Monday, August 4, 2008

SOUP'S ON


Last week my bloggerette sisterhood had a challenge to list 100 things our readership may not know about each other. The gals were all blasting out their lists in no time. Me…after five days of thinking, I finally made it to 50, and I didn’t really like my list. I set it aside. Then, at 3:30 Sunday morning, as I was taking my middle-of-the-night bathroom break, my problem with the challenge became clear to me. I needed a theme. And I suddenly knew just the topic to choose. You’ll figure it out in no time:

1. I love to eat but I’m sort of a picky eater
2. I much prefer a dry bowl of cereal to a juicy steak.
3. I can count the number of times I’ve eaten steak on one hand.
4. I’ve never even cooked a steak.
5. I think I’ve fried chicken once.
6. Chicken fried steak? You can keep it. Especially the gravy on top.
7. Meat loaf…I’d rather not.
8. I once cooked a meal for my high school boyfriend, and he ended up eating the corn chowder Mama Bore had made for the rest of the family.
9. If I had to survive on only one of the basic good groups for the rest of my life, I’d choose cereal grains.
10. I’m hooked on Quaker Oatmeal Bars.

11. Dark, pumpernickel rye is my favorite bread.
12. There’s nothing like a good ol’ grilled cheese sandwich dipped in vegetable soup on a cold day. 13. There’s this doughnut franchise that everybody raves about…I can’t think of the name of
it, but you know the one I mean. I can’t stand those doughnuts!
14. When I was in my 20’s, I had the dream of marrying a Winchell’s Doughnut’s owner. Now, those were doughnuts! Whatever happened to Winchell’s?
15. My favorite cake is angel food.
16. I’m not much of a pie eater, but if I had to eat a slice, it would be apple.
17. I once made an apple pie but forgot one of the ingredients.
18 I learned that apple pie without sugar tastes like, well, there’s no way of saying it nicely…vomit. May I offer you a piece of my apple vomit pie?
19. I absolutely can’t stand cherry pie.
20. I’d just as soon have sugar-free peach Jello for dessert over anything else.

21. Coffee or tea? I’ll have coffee.
22. Will I have sugar or cream with that? No, just black and not too strong, thank-you.
23. The best brand of peanut butter is Peter Pan. I especially like the honey roasted.
24. When Peter Pan had to take its products off the market a year or so ago due to a contamination problem, I refused to buy any other brand and went peanut butter-less until PP came back on the shelves
25. I eat peanut butter straight out of the jar and nobody cares
26. Thick and chewy or thin and crispy? I want my pizza flat.
27. I once ordered a cheese pizza from Papa John’s, and it was so greasy that I’ve not been back for seconds.
28. I could eat an entire box of Cheez-Its in one sitting if it wouldn’t make me feel so guilty.
29. I never eat biscuits and gravy…well, I’ll eat the biscuit with honey but the meat and gravy mixture reminds me too much of doggy upchuck.
30. Onions and Flaming Bore do not mix.

31. I prefer skim milk to whole milk.
32. Grapes, yes. Raisins, no.
33. Plums, yes. Prunes, no. Double-no on that one!
34. Too many oranges and the citric acid gives my mouth canker sores.
35. But I love oranges!
36. I’ve tried the apple a day keeps the doctor away theory.
37. It doesn’t work.
38. I’m keen on strawberries…fresh off the vine.
39. French toast, pancakes, or waffles for breakfast? I’ll take all three! Pass the syrup.
40. About the only dish I ever fix for Thanksgiving is a green bean casserole

41. Baked potato, yes. Sweet potato, no
42. My favorite Mexican food---sopapillas with honey.
43. Thumbs down to burritos and tacos and most anything else at the Mexican restaurants.
44. Italian is my favorite ethnic choice, just go easy on the meat and heavy on the pesto.
45. I could live on Italian breadsticks alone, especially with garlic and butter. Fazoli’s breadsticks are magnifico!
46. I’ve never eaten a funnel cake.
47. Chocolate or vanilla? Vanilla.
48. Root beer gags me.
49. Same with licorice.
50. If I’m going to junk out with a hot dog, it better have mustard and catsup on it

51. How do I want my eggs cooked? Scrambled, please.
52. I cannot eat a sunny side up fried egg. Yuck!
53. At Subway, I always order the 6-inch turkey on Italian bread.
54. Add bell pepper, banana pepper, dill pickles, and black olives to that sandwich, please.
55. Some honey mustard, too.
56. But I’d rather have an Arby’s turkey sandwich.
57. Sugar Pops are tops! But I usually have Honey Oats Toasty-O’s (cheaper brand version of Cheerios.)
58. I like to mix my breakfast cereal with low-fat yogurt rather than putting milk on it.
59. A banana might be thrown into the mixture, too.
60. I’ll pass on the beets.

61. And the rhubarb.
62. And the turnips (even though Big Bore has a mess of them planted in the garden.)
63. And the spinach.
64. And the brussel sprouts.
65. The only pork I care to eat is bacon once in a blue moon.
66. My favorite seafood is pealed shrimp on ice with cocktail sauce.
67. Shark and filet of sole are good.
68. Tuna and salmon are fine, too.
69. Everything else from the sea, lake, river, whatever, is not on my menu except for whatever that fish is at Long John Silver’s.
70. You will NEVER get me to eat sushi.

71. I once tried caviar and couldn’t swallow it.
72. I will eat mountain oysters as long as they are drenched in barbecue sauce and are made at the Nut Hut in Altoona. Add bun and pickles.
73. I like Fritos.
74. Original, chili, or barbecue….any ol’ Frito will do.
75. My favorite snack recipes from Mama Bore are goopies (Cheerios sautéed in butter) and caramel popcorn.
76. My big sis whips up some great Chex Party Mix, too.
77. Just say no to bratwurst--too much fat.
78. Anything with a cinnamon sugar flavor gets my approval.
79. Cheesecake…love it but a little goes a long way.
80. Best dessert of all time---a blondie from Applebee’s.

81. Favorite candy--smooth and melty mints…the small ones.
82. There’s totally nothing on a Spangle’s menu that I really like.
83. Freddy’s Frozen Custard joint is even worse.
84. Butterscotch Dilly Bars are my favorite Dairy Queen selection, but the DQ in El Dorado isn’t selling them anymore, so I’m sad about that.
85. I like to mix cottage cheese and pork and beans together
86. Any kind of Oriental food, Chinese, Cantonese, whatever…no likey
87. Pepsi or Coke? Pepsi. Diet. But not often.
88. First choice of beverage: peach water from Dollar General.
89. There’s a water by one of the fancier bottlers that I like, too--Dasani Citrus Blend.
90. I actually know how to make a great quiche.

91. I like yogurt, but not plain.
92. Pork rinds…no way!
93. I don’t go for cheeseburgers. What’s wrong with me?
94. French fries are okay as long as they are seasoned.
95. I think avocados are tasteless.
96. I always check a menu for grilled chicken breast.
97. Carrots shredded in orange Jello-yummy! As long as Mama Bore makes it.
98. Cantaloupe, yes. Musk melon, no.
99. Would I like salt on my watermelon? Nope. And the fewer seeds, the better
100. The last time I cooked a meal for Big Bore was in November, 2006. No surprise there.

This concludes my list of 100 things you may not have know about me. I’ve enjoyed dishing them out!

8 comments:

Loni said...

What a fun food-related list! You seem pretty picky!! My oldest daughter has a very limited number of options she likes when it comes to food. It drives me nuts trying to feed the family with her not wanting ANYTHING I make.
I am not a big meat fan either...but put a good cheeseburger in front of me and that flies out the window!
It was great reading your list!

Sarah said...

"Thumbs down to burritos and tacos and most anything else at the Mexican restaurants."

Your breaking my heart right now. ;)

I liked your theme.

Sarah said...

I stole that photo from a website online. I am not that talented. ;)

Unknown said...

Never eaten a funnel cake?? OMG how can you live with yourself?? You don't know what you are missing, maybe thats how!!

Nancy Evans said...

Sorry about the Mexican food rejection, Sarah. It's the meat. Tara, Big Bore brought home some leftover funnel cake from work over the weekend and it's still sitting in the refrigerator. I DID smell it, but put it back. Wish I was as disciplined with ice cream!

Jaime said...

Ok, so no wonder you've always had a great figure! You live on Cheez-Its and grapes! You DO have some picky tastebuds! When it comes to food, I can stomach about anything. Not to mention, many of my favs. were on your not-in-a-million-years list....

Anonymous said...

OK! We are in total agreeement about the meat. But the wheat, dairy and eggs stuff would have to go. We could do beans together and veggies and fruit. Almond butter but never peanut butter. Tofu at least once or twice a day please, gotta have some protein. And, of course, I consider fruit to be sugar, so don't use anything not a complex carb. Brown rice and it's products, pancakes and pasta too, are necessities, since I nix the wheat alltogether. I am not pickey--just allergic to everything. If I stray off the path of clean eating, I am sick and grumpy. We are solid on the sugar free Jello but I really limit the sugar subs as they just make you crave sweets. No oils either, only EVOO. Ice cream is my weakness but I do stick to the soy at least. My tofu/fruit/soy milk smoothies, when properly frozen, are my fav "dessert." I'd starve without Amazon.com delivering gluten free products to my door. And I do love to cook!!

Nancy Evans said...

Well, Diva, we are just two old picky gals, aren't we?! One of these days, I'm gonna get to Reno and we'll have to pig out together on something we both like!