Saturday, August 16, 2008

GROWING WORRIED


Last month I decided I wanted to grow my own pumpkins for Halloween, so I planted five seeds in a new garden near Big Bore's turnips, watered, sat back, and waited. Well, I've created a monster of tangling vines but that's about it so far. There are beautiful yellowy-orange flower blossoms peeping up from the vines each morning, but nothing more. From what I've read about the scientific art of pumpkin growing, bees are supposed to take pollen from a male blossom, deposit it into a female bloosom, and voila! Baby pumpkins!

Well, either the bees are on summer vacation or they can't find any females. I've studied pictures of the male and female blossoms, compared them to what's in my garden, and I've come to the alarming conclusion that (brace yourself) I have a homosexual pumpkin patch! Seriously. Big Bore has told me to be patient--that the males typically come before the females--well, ain't that the truth. But if I don't see results soon, I'm going to check into artificial pollenation, if there is such a thing. Either that or head to the grocery store come October, buy a bunch of pumpkins, toss them in the patch, and act surprised.

The Great Pumpkin says, "To be continued...."

6 comments:

dr. maureen said...

I know what you mean. I've planted pumps for the last 3 yrs---and there are many more male blossoms. I usually do get some pumps---but I think our shortage of pollinators is the problem. This yr I have planted funky French pumpkins---they are blue-green with warts (quite homely but appropriate for Halloween) as well as birdhouse gourds. The gourds are VERY prolific---I think I can go into a side business of selling birdhouses once they dry.

Sarah said...

I have the same problem but with my watermelon vine. Nothing. Just yellow flowers and lots of vine. ;( That stinks, I would love to grow pumpkins sometime. Maybe next year.

I say just buy some and throw them in.

Nancy Evans said...

J has three watermelon...but one got some sort of blight/rot and it is out of contention. Hope the other two pull through!

Anonymous said...

Ladies, when you get all leaves and no fruit, you are planting the seeds in the wrong sign of the moon. Check your almanac--ask FB if you don't know what one is--and it will tell you just the right days to plant pumpkins and then you will inundated. The large pumpkin farm near me has only blooms so far too, so it is too early to despair. alas, I can only container garden but planting on just the right days helps tremendously. Unless you think I am crazy? You can thank Ben Franklin for the Almanac, published under the pen name Poor Richard. Us old farts are filled with useless info!!

Nancy Evans said...

Well, Diva, I'm all for any help I can get. I think I planted these pumpkins on July 1st. I'll have to get the Almanac for 2009.

Sarah said...

For you Nancy.

Nancy, my name is Patty, and I am one of your reader's mother. Her name is Loni and she found you through Sarah. My husband and I have been friends with her folks for over 30 years and have known J for that long, too. Loni said she enjoys reading your blog, and advised me that I would, too. Just wanted you to know that you have another reader. Patty