Saturday, August 23, 2008

CUTTING IT SHORT


Thursday I went to Mama Bore's home to do some yard work. She advised me to bring my heavy-duty, big-ass, extendable loppers, a gardening tool that looks like it could also be used to remove the teeth from great white sharks. I salivate whenever she asks me to bring the loppers because this usually means some serious work.

Well, she basically only wanted me to cut a pathway behind her front yard cedars so the gas guy could reach her meter without becoming trapped in overgrowth, but that was not enough for me. No, no. I had to tackle all the bind weed and then cut down a tree growing in the middle of her rose of Sharon. I've had my loppers ready for that eyesore since last year, just waiting for Mama Bore to give me the green light. Finally, the go ahead. Timber!! It was such a rush. I should have been a lumberjack...except I can't stand heights.

I ended the afternoon by cutting out undergrowth from some pine trees, something else that wasn't on the job list; I just felt the urge to get into a wrestling match with the weeds and vines...until clearing the way to the second pine, which was wrapped by a suspicious looking vine with three broad leaves. Hmmm. Could that be? Yes, it was....poison ivy! Back off, Jack. Time to retreat.

I woke up the next morning scratching....first, my left wrist, then the left thigh, right under-boob, right butt cheek. Chigger bites. No poison ivy rash. Hooray! Today I've been working in my own yard, no loppers needed, just scissors. After laboring in Mama Bore's dangerous yard, I'm cutting myself slack.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

You worked hard and your reward is a nice rash. Take care of it. I feel for you!

Anonymous said...

I call the loppers the high forceps!! I use oatmeal soap and Dome Boro solution, available without scrip at the Pharm if you ask. You put it in your bath water or on a wash cloth and wipe the itchy areas. I get PI even if I am in airborn contact with the oils. Can drive you crazy in the heat. Hope you are still drinking lots of fluids too. Poor thing!!