Tuesday, August 5, 2008

KID STUFF


Shocking news out of Pittsburg during my stop there Sunday. My great niece Maddie, age almost 5, has dumped Dora the Explorer and is now going steady with Strawberry Short Cake!! I don’t know what provoked this switch of allegiance, but Maddie is so smitten with that sweet red-haired cutie that she talked her dad into getting a Strawberry Short Cake birthday cake for our family get-together…and NO ONE WAS HAVING A BIRTHDAY! It was a yummy chunk of sugar, although her cousin Luke, 8, wasn’t sure he wanted any of the pink frosting…“too girlish” for his taste buds, he said, although his appetite finally relented.


On the drive back west, Mama Bore told me that Maddie’s little brother Boomer has to be tinkle trained before going back to daycare when school starts and their parents return to work. Apparently Boomer’s mommy was going to try a technique she’d heard is successful for boys ---dropping Cheerios in the toilet bowl and having those little "peties" take aim. What a great idea! I got an email from his grandma Monday and, by golly, she’d just gotten off the telephone with Boomer and he’d reported his first successful big boy pee. Remember that old commercial? “He’s got go power! There he goes! He’s feeling his Cheerios!” Now we know why “HE” was used in that jingle, rather than SHE.

As Big Bore and I were de-flating the big air mattress that great nephew Bo used during his visit here last week, we discovered he didn’t get back home with as much as he’d brought. We counted one necklace, one t-shirt, two pairs of shorts, one pair of underwear, one towel, and one sock. ---Alas, no money! Rats!




























2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the additional pics!! My 3 year old grandgirl also loves Strawberry Shortcake. Her cousin, now 9, has moved on, but the cousin's cast off satin sleeping bag and pillow are a big hit here. I actually have a SS pillow that my Mom made me when I liked ( that was a few years ago!) SS!!! Dora is more Eco-friendly and multi-cultural. Is such fun to watch them respond to current marketing campaigns, I guess! On the cheerios thing, god idea! Our success was when Dad and he played "cross swords". So glad this was not my problem. Girls are much easier. Remember Danny Ong and Jon? Yuck.

Nancy Evans said...

Mom had Jon peeing in a peanut butter jar...without the peanut butter in it, of course! She actually got him trained before Gloria was born, when he was just 14 months old. She didn't want to have two pee-ing babies at the same time!