Friday, August 15, 2008

HOT TIMES IN THE SUMMER


It wouldn't be summertime without a blog about the drive-in theatre. I was going to research and write about the history of the drive-in but decided I didn't want my blog to get the reputation of being educational, so, instead, I shall tell you about ten fun things to do at the Fredonia drive-in back in the 1960s:

1. Wearing out the playground equipment in front of the screen at dusk before the movies started...as grade schoolers only. Once we hit 7th grade, this became taboo kid stuff.

2. Going to the concession stand, in the south door, standing in a single-file line, ordering a pot load of swell-smelling grease...hot dogs, fries, popcorn, colas, and hauling it out the north door in a crammed cardboard carrier, trying not to spill it all before stumbling back to the car in the dark. "Oops! I forgot where the car is parked!"

3. Sitting in the metal chairs in front of the concession stand...pretty much a junior high thing before we had cars and we were just lowly walk-in customers. At least we were close to the restrooms and the food and could socialize with everyone who walked by.

4. Spreading blankets in front of the car and talking.

5. Sitting on top of car hoods and talking.

6. Car hopping (talking).

7. Dashing off to the restroom with girlfriends...to talk.

8. Parking next to the lovebird couples who would steam up their car windows, grossing us out. Yuck!

9. Jumping in the back seat and trying out a few of those yucky moves ourselves.

10. Stuffing as many people into a car as we could on Buck-A-Car Night, or stashing boys into the car trunk when it wasn't Buck-A-Car Night, sneak-sneak.

Oh, I was a drive-in groupie, all right. Sure wish I could recall some of the movies I saw.





2 comments:

Unknown said...

We have a drive around here. We have never gone, but always say we want to. Maybe thats a vacation idea...

We left E-town in 98 I believe right after I graduated. Mom is still teaching but I think this is going to be her last year.

Anonymous said...

I played on the swing set at the chanute Drive In Theatre. I loved the chairs in front of the concession stand in Fredonia. My husband used to go to Fredonia Drive In a lot, four boys in a '56 Chevy--absolutely no girls allowed. Weekends when they had dramas, they used to go to Neodesha. I liked to go to the Independence Drive in when I didn't want the people in Fredonia to know who I was dating. Remember the holes in the screen at the Fredonia Drive In when the wind would blow a chunk of it off? High Margin says Thunderball and Red Line 7000 were the two best movies he saw there. My fav was Greatest Show on Earth at the Chanute drive in , but Magnificent Seven was pretty fab too. High Margin used to watch all the spaghetti westerns, as in Clint Eastwood, in Fredonia at the drive in too. Needless to say, he and I never met there. And I don't remember ever being able to afford boughten popcorn but we did pop some at home and take it.