Wednesday, August 27, 2008

NOT-SO-EASY RIDER


I've been having trouble lately getting on and off my 33-year-old Schwinn 3-speed, Ol' Red. What's going on here? Has Big Bore raised the seat on me? Have I shrunk? Am I losing my "umph" now that I'm pushing 60? (and I'm talking miles per hour!) Every mount and dismount has been a struggle. Red and I feel like we're gonna tumble into a big pile of twisted flesh, metal, and rubber. It doesn't help matters that it's a boy's bike, with a bar that threatens to rip into my girly regions every time I decide to go for a ride.

So, today I finally asked BB, who also likes to hop on Red, "Have you raised the seat on the bike?"

"No. Why?"

"It seems too high. I'm afraid I'm gonna crash land every time I get on and off."

"You're shrinking." :)

He walked into the garage, got out a wrench, and had the seat lowered to my specifications in no time flat. He's also putting on new brake pads today, since the front one has crapped out. I think he's weary of holding my hand at the emergency room and doesn't want me taking any more thrill rides in an ambulance.

Now, if he can just repair all the %$#@! bumps in the %$#@! streets around here, Red and I will stop our %$#@! whining.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I like my seat low too. But I am only 5'3 so being a shorty I need it.

Anonymous said...

I was 5'6" for most of my life. Then a couple of years ago, I shrank to 5'4"!! After about 18 months of daily exercise I am now 5'5" again. I really think it is a matter of disk compaction and poor posture. It's a daily fight to avoid becoming a stoop shouldered old hag. Water exerts 12 pounds of pressure on your body per square inch and your range of motion is thirty percent greater in the water too.