Wednesday, August 20, 2008

GOLD MEDAL BODIES

OBSERVATIONS FROM A COUCH POTATO WATCHING THE OLYMPICS....

Have you seen the Summer Olympics competitors in the women's volleyball and track? These lean gals look like Victoria's Secret models in their form-fitting, two-piece Lycra sports bras and low-cut shorts. When they run and jump, there's no belly hangover or cellulite jelly quaking going on, like what greets me in the full-length mirror every morning. I think every one of these smokin' "babe-a-letes" should be given a medal just for showing up in such great shape.

Why do the male gymnasts all look like green-less short versions of The Incredible Hulk? Their muscles are way too muscle-y (Is that a word? I think not.) for my taste. On the other hand, most of the female gymnasts look like waifs who haven't eaten since the last Olympics four years ago. The minimum age to compete is supposedly 16, but some of the "women" don't look like they've yet spent a day in junior high. In fact, the other night when one of them smiled after receiving a medal, I swear it looked like her two front teeth were still coming in.

Why are the men's and women's floor exercise so different? The women have background music, and in between their tumbling sets they gyrate all over the mat like cats in heat. I'd love to see those macho men do the same. Wouldn't that be fun?

What's the name of that event where the rotund men wear a big white diaper that has a padded waist band? The competitors try to belly bump each other out of a ring. Sumo wrestling, I think. Is that an Olympics event? For women, too? I hope so. Finally, some bodies I can relate to. (Yes, Literary Diva, I know a sentence should not end with a preposition, but "to which I can relate" just sounds too formal for blog-speak.)

Watching all these fit bodies on display has inspired me to get out my exercise mat and think about doing a leg lift or two. Maybe. I'd better get out my jar of peanut butter and big spoon and think a while longer, though, before making such a big commitment. Unlike those track stars, I don't want to get into a big hurry over something that's so important.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh! Phelps just got a contract with Kellog's today. He's gonna be on Frosted Flakes!!! What happened to Tony the Tiger?? Phelps is also gonna be on regular corn flakes. My own home commentator on the figures of the Olympics babes is, "None of them will topple over due to big boobs!"

Nancy Evans said...

Yeah, we've also noticed that none of the women competitors will be moonlighting at Hooters any time soon.--Frosted Flakes???!!! Cats must unite and prevent Tony from losing his job!!

Jaime said...

I too, am envious of the rockhard bodies! Half the time I lose track of the competition and day dream of having one of those bodies, but then think of the commitment it takes and decide it's wiser to keep some extra meat on my bones. You never know when you might need it! (p.s. You two have me paranoid about every comment. I know you've got your mental red pens going crazy & are probably so distracted you aren't able to digest the message ;)

Nancy Evans said...

Jaime, I muck up all the time on the computer. It's not like a blog is a research paper, you know! We're not being graded...although I know I've given Sarah an A+ on pictures before! If I catch one of my boo-boos later, though, I will go back and fix it. Old habits die hard.

Anonymous said...

I have only two years experience with a red pen catching spelling and grammatical errors. I have a lot more years with a delete key catching programming errors and it paid much better too. I too, try to go back and fix my own errors but at 4:30 am, when I usually post, I have usually not been to bed yet--so sometimes don'te notice anything that is not glaring. I am usually to polite to correct anyone and most of my friends never know I taught English or that my degree is in it. So you are also safe with me, Jaime!! P.S. Michael Phelps is ADHD too. He probably would be able to concentrate if he swore off the gluten. Tony the tiger deserves sererance pay, accumulated vacation and sick pay as well as unemployment, at least!!