Friday, August 29, 2008

SEW WHAT


About six years ago, when I first developed my gawd-awful tinnitus, I decided that perhaps I needed a relaxing hobby to keep me calmer during my spazzy attacks. I'd always admired the handiwork of others so decided upon quilting. I found a fine church quilting group that was patient with beginners, purchased the required supplies, and was ready to embark upon a new pasttime that would surely help to de-stress my brain/ear disorder.

Well, I couldn't cut it. Because I was so inept at making stitches, the ear problem just got worse. Even threading a needle became an ordeal. I kept at it for a few months, thinking I'd improve-- made some pillow tops, a pot holder, and a few small wall hangings, but I was miserably slow at it. Not owning a sewing maching was a handicap/excuse; I finally tossed in the material and raised the white flag.

About the only sewing I do now is to "re-plant" a stray button or close busted seams. Mama Bore has offered to give me her sewing machine, but I told her it would just take up space and gather dust. I fear trying to thread the damned thing would be too much of a battle.

I continue to admire the needlework experts who create masterpieces, but I've accepted the fact that I will never be among those crazy quilters. To me, sewing is about as relaxing as having a mammogram and PAP smear done on the same day. Yikes! Why did I even have to say that? I've got to go do some deep breathing and calm down. Sew long for now.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I admire quilters too! I wish I had the patience. My sister does little quilts for babies, she crochets and all that crafty crap. I just am not very crafty, but dream of being so. I guess the camera is my craft, and I don't mind that.

Jaime said...

I too, plan to make time to learn how to quilt! I assisted an afghan(sp) group a while back, but it was looping squares together and didn't require much skill. Hopefully, I'll have better luck than you did ;)

Anonymous said...

I am a quilter. I taught it in Connecticut and Wisconsin and Illinois and California and even have a few students here. I don't make bed quilts anymore but still do art wall hangings. In my prime, I made a series of quilts for Hyatt Hotels, one is still hanging in Hawaii and then another series for Del Monte frozen veggies that they made into labels. I do not consider it relaxing! It is work and art and art for commission is work too. My latest is the one behind my chair, the first I've ever kept. Sad to say, since I've spent so much time at it, it is far too math related for me. course I cheated and wrote programs to compute anything I needed to know, being lazy totally. It takes me years to get a concept, collect the fabrics and then finally sew it--mostly by hand as I hate any machine stitches to ever show. Some of my students have made some gorgeous things. I don't consider it crafts and the world of travel and exhibits and catalogs is a total drag. The one I kept is of fall trees in Batiks and the last one I gave away to a friend of Ron's is all Japanese fabrics (he collected them for me) and is origami kimonoes. I am working on a Westie dog hanging in 1930's feed sack fabrics for a friend who is a Wesie nut!! Never saved any of the money I made from them. Used it to pay private school tuition for my son and pay for a heart surgery for a relative. Met some wonderful women and a few men even this way though. My stash of fabric is embarrassing! I consider it paint. Good memories.

Nancy Evans said...

Oh,Diva, I knew you'd think I was a putz for giving it up. You are SOOOOO talented and after having tried quilting for one summer, I have all the more admiration for the lovely work you do.