Thursday, August 7, 2008

MY BIG BLUE BALL

When recently speaking with my chiropractor, Dr. Sarah, a former student and all-around good person, I told her that I have lousy computer desk posture. Sometimes after getting up from an intense Internet session, my back and ribs feel like they’re caving in, and I know it’s because I hunch over the desk. Dr. Sarah said her husband overcame this problem by sitting on an exercise ball. I couldn’t find one in my little burg, no surprise there, so she ordered me one. It arrived in a box on Monday…thus began my quest for better posture and fewer aches and pains.

Well, first of all, I was too stupid to figure out how to blow up my new blue ball, so I had to wait until Big Bore got home from work to make sense of the instructions. He is good to have around for such purposes since I do not have a logical, mechanical brain that can put anything together without it being a major production/failure. And, I have to tell you, this task wasn’t exactly a breeze for him, either. The job required more than two hands, so I was recruited, reluctantly, to help out.

The body ball blowing kit had a plastic air pump that sounded like it was having a wheezing asthma attack. I was the appointed pumper person. I pumped and I pumped and I pumped…switching hands, going to my feet…it was a good isometric workout just getting the exercise ball blown up. We finally got it to the designated size, after we confusingly converted centimeters to inches and diameter to circumference, and I was ready to try it out…and I LOVE IT! It sort of forces me into slumping less, and I like bouncing on it. We’re not talking bouncing across the room like a kangaroo--just feet to the floor and bouncing in place.

My new “computer chair” comes with a chart full of exercises, complete with pictures, for stretching, muscle strength, and conditioning. I haven’t tried any of them yet. They look too scary and difficult and I’m afraid I might roll off the ball and never roll back up. If I ever get the nerve to attempt these positions, Big Bore will have to be around to “spot” me. I’m not sure he can keep from laughing, but that’s okay. My big blue ball and I have strong shoulders, and his teasing will just bounce right off!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Gotta luv Dr. Sarah!!! I used one of those exact balls during labor with Kenley. They are amazing and have many great uses!

Nancy Evans said...

HOW THE HECK DID YOU USE IT DURING LABOR? LIE DOWN AND SQUEEZE IT BETWEEN YOUR LEGS? JUST CURIOUS!

Sarah said...

I used one too during labor. Sitting on the ball helps the cramps. I love the ab workout you can do with those.

I need to air mine back up. You can use it to watch TV on too.

Jaime said...

Oh yes, they have all kinds of exercises you can do on that ball! I took a pilates class, and we used it all the time! However, the most relaxing thing is just laying over the ball, stomach down. Your back completely releases, but I did this at home one time & was stuck! Something released that wasn't supposed to, and after about 10 min. of feeling pain any time I moved, I finally rolled myself off of it. So, play carefully ;)

Anonymous said...

Doing crunches with the ball at your back is the best. We use ours for sewing, watching TV, computer, just as extra seating. Ron grasps it in his ands and does set ups by putting it at his ankles and then back up to his chest. I found ours at the Good will store, just before they opened and I am sure someone donated it just for me! The autistic kid I used to baby set had one about 13 years ago and I fell in love with them then. Better posture is better oxygen in your brain so this is a good thing!