Saturday, August 2, 2008

MOVING ON

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Great Aunt Nancy isn’t so great any more. After fishing with Big Bore and Face Booking on the computer yesterday, Bo ran into my neighbor kid at the grocery store and it turns out they know each other from being at the Shrine Bowl band camp last week. Within hours, Bo was asking to go over to Ian’s house, which was fine with me. Soon he was back seeking permission to go riding around in Ian’s classic red Buick Riviera. It’s a cool car. Even I would like to go cruising around in it.

For a split second, I thought, “What would his mother say?” I knew the resounding answer to that one. But Ian is a good kid, 17, and my guess is that Bo has never gone riding around with anyone before, let alone an older teen with such stokin’ wheels. The more friends he can make, the better. So…“Only if you stay in town and wear your seat belt.” I hoped I wouldn’t come to regret my decision later.

Well, around supper time, I walked on over to Ian’s house. The guys were outside, next to the Buick, talking to another boy from the ‘hood. It was nice to see Bo shooting the breeze, but it was time to get home for supper. Later, he asked if there would be time today to go back over to Ian’s house, but we are taking off soon for Hutchinson and Wichita and won’t be back until almost midnight. But, I’m glad he asked, and I’m glad he has some friends here. Kids need to make pals and not stick with old fuddy duddy aunties all the time. I hope that during next summer’s visit he’ll see even less of me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a brave Auntie!! Yes, lettting them go is certainly part of loving them and I think it is one of the hardest parts. ron went with Jason to Boy Scout actitivy one after the other, just so he could run off with his friends and ignore dear old Dad all weekend. It is all part of the process. As far as them being safe once they are out of sight, I only can say to pray a lot. After all, they've always been in God's care anyway. Sometimes it is easier for a relative other than his mother to relax the reins a little and let them explore. It makes for independent young folks and that is what we want in the end after all. Glad Bo is having such a good time. Tell the boys Auntie would like a ride!! We're getting old enough to ask for a few harmless things we want and riding in a cool car is one of them! Love you.