Monday, August 25, 2008

OVER AND OUT


After two exhausting weeks, the Summer Olympics is finally over!! NBC can bring back "Deal or No Deal" and sports announcer Bob Costas can get some sleep. For the most part, I enjoyed watching the Olympics, although I must admit to turning off the TV when ping pong and boxing came on the screen. Trying to follow the little white ball made me dizzy, and I'm just not a boxing buff. I was surprised how much I enjoyed watching the synchronized swim teams, but the rhythmic gymnastics didn't thrill me. Heck, I was jumping around with a hula hoop fifty years ago.

I became so inspired by those bouncy balance beamers that I decided to try out a few moves myself on the imaginary beam on our living room floor. I did a few pirouettes, half turns, jumps, and lots of artistic hand gesturing, which Big Bore said reflected my many years of training in Russia. Alas, no cartwheels. Those aren't attempted at the Flaming Bore Gymnastics School, especially when the competitors are wearing flip-flops.

My old school pal Maggie had a great description of the women's beach volleyball gold medal contest, and I quote: "Nothing like four skinny women frolicking in the sand, in the rain, ass-slapping and grabbing each other every 30 seconds. A real man's dream come true." Might I add, wet dream? The white "team uniform" of the US women's tandem was skimpier than anything I've ever worn to bed.

How do the platform divers keep their heads from exploding when they enter the water? I know their taped-up hands are breaking the entry, but it still has to hurt like hell and it sounds even worse. I kept thinking all that force on impact was going to blow their tiny trucks right off of them. At least that's what I was hoping. Real women can dream, too, you know!

I saw in the newspaper yesterday that Michael Phelps's agent has apparently been reading my blog because he ran right out and got MP a deal with Pizza Hut. Free pizza and pasta for a year for him and his teammates. That's it? Hmmm. I think he'd better re-negotiate.

See you in London in 2012!!!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

It seems like it went fast this year. ;) I am glad your little pumpkins are finally growing. I can't wait for you to post pictures of them growing.

Jaime said...

I am sad, but happy the Olympics are over too! It was a pretty decent show for the ol' US of A!

Also, ck. my response to your comment on my blog ;)

Unknown said...

I'm sad they are over! Love the sports!!

The needle like structure in the background of the photos is the CN Tower. Its a huge tourist attraction and is lit up at night. I think there is a website for more info but I can't remember the link right now. Can't wait to see your pumpkin pics!

Anonymous said...

When the pumpkins are bigger than your boobs you can really feel a sense of satisfaction.