Tuesday, August 12, 2008

LOST


On my way home from Pittsburg yesterday, I decided to take an out-of-the-way side trip to Lake Fegan to pick up some more rocks for our backyard. When I've gone to Fegan by myself, I've always taken the west entry/exit off Highway 105, but this time I decided to leave from the north. Big Bore usually takes this way, as it hooks up with Highway 54. It's not a straight shot, but I thought I could figure out where to make the correct turns, "thought" being the operative word here.

Obviously, I haven't been paying any attention when he drives. Somewhere along the way, I made a wrong turn or two or three. Since the sun was hiding behind thick clouds, I was directionless. The cows weren't any help, so I just kept meandering along, figuring I'd eventually get off the dirt roads and back to civilization. And, of course, I did or I wouldn't be blogging today, but I had to laugh at how far I'd traveled off the beaten path. I was about five miles south of the west entry/exit back on Highway 105. What the heck had happened to going north? What should have been a three-mile exit to Highway 54 had gone about 10 miles the wrong way.

Next time Big Bore takes me to Fegan via the northern route, I'm taking notes. Extremely copious notes. Either that, or I'm investing in a compass.

2 comments:

Loni said...

That is exactly why my husband always drives when we go out there! For some reason I just can't figure out those back roads...and I am a country girl! I should be able to navigate any dirt road in my path. I am glad you eventually found your way home.

Sarah said...

Shoot when we go, we always go through Toronto, so I am no help. I am glad you didn't have to spend the night with the coyotes