Saturday, August 9, 2008

WOMAN'S BEST FRIEND?


Today, my friend Niner sent me one of those Trip-Down-Memory-Lane e-mailings, complete with pictures. You've received these before, if you're 55 and over, where your childhood flashes before your eyes with visions of milk sold in glass bottles, Beany and Cecil, and grocery stores giving away S & H Green Stamps. Included in this most recent e-mail was an old Sunday night favorite of mine, "Lassie."

I can remember when Lassie's first boy master was Jeff, played by Tommy Rettig, which goes WAY back, but the little boy in this e-mail was his second master, blonde-haired Timmy, Jon Provost. He was just totally adorable with his big blue eyes...well, we had a black-and-white TV, but I always assumed they were blue. You had to use your imagination, something most kids don't have these days. The basic plot of every show was much like the one I wrote in an earlier blog about the Saturday morning horse dramas (see April 10th)...Timmy mucks up or someone else mucks up, and Lassie risks her tail saving the day. Timmy goes from being all sad and scared to happy, happy, happy. Hooray! "I love you, Lassie. Sit, girl. Lift your paw and wave good-bye to everyone out there in television land. Good dog." The end.

Now, I was still young enough to really dig the premise, but older brother Beans wouldn't bite. He found the show childish and would make fun of every miracle Lassie performed. And what really irked me was what he did at the beginning and ending of each show. When the word, "Lassie" came upon the TV screen, superimposed over the dog and little Timmy, Beans would put a hand over the "L" and start laughing. I would be furious.

"Mom, make him stop!!" I'd holler. There was no point in me trying to physically stop him because he'd just pulverize me. "Mom! He's making 'assie' on the screen!" Even if she did enter the room for an intervention and make him behave, it would always be too late. He already stirred me up, unloading his evil grin of satisfaction. You've seen it before, too, if you grew up with an older brother: the eyes twinkle maniacally, the nose scrunches, and the lips tightly turn upward..."gotcha again!"

Yet, it was still good to see Timmy and Lassie on Niner's e-mail and re-live those childhood memories, good or bad. And, doggone it, if I ever become the owner of a super collie in my old age, I'll train it to lift a leg and use Beans as a fire hydrant. "Sic 'im, girl! Good dog." We bitches gotta stick together.








2 comments:

Jaime said...

Ooh, I loved Lassie too, but probably not as much as Little House on the Prairie ;) Maybe it's cause I'm not in the family scene, but I don't think they have family dramas anymore. There are things like Gossip Girl and Dirty, Sexy Money... Hum,society is going down the poop shoot! (p.s.~ How do you get your cool pics on your page? If it doesn't have a URL I can't get clip art to paste on there. Thanks)

Nancy Evans said...

Oh, yes, Little Half Pint was a cutie, but I always identified more closely to that snippy, sneaky blonde, pig-tailed gal. Was Nellie Olson her name? That strikes a bell. She was the Little Pest on the Prairie --Okay, to get a clip art pic on your blog, first find some free clip art..I prefer Fotosearch.com...and save it to your documents, or pictures, or whatever file you save pics on. Then, when you get into your blog and you're ready to place a pic, click on that little blue photo placement square at the top right of the blog screen and up will pop the picture browser. It takes a while to figure out how to manipulate pics if you do more than one, but you'll eventually get the hang of it. Since you've already been placing your own pics, you probably know what I mean. I get most of my clip art on Fotosearch because it has a HUGE stash of pics and they're quick to find. Good luck!