Friday, August 1, 2008

GOING BATTY

Last night great nephew Bo and I joined millions of other cinema fans, plunked down eight bucks apiece, and saw the new, much-hyped Batman movie, The Dark Knight. I was sure glad I had a teenager to tag along with so he could explain what the heck was going on. I was clueless half the time. “Who is that guy in court?” “Why are people wanting to impersonate Batman when most of Gotham is pissed off at him?” “What are all those computer screens about?” My questions went on and on.

Of course, it didn’t help matters that, due to my auditory problem, I had to wear ear plugs since half the movie was nothing but loud, ominous music and explosions. When there was dialogue, I’d remove the left plug, but even then I had difficulty figuring out what Batman/Bruce was saying. He sounded like one of those people who smokes a carton of cigarettes in five minutes--low and raspy.

The worst thing about The Dark Knight, though, was the fact that it lasted 2 hours and 30 minutes. We all know that any woman my age cannot manage to go without peeing for that long, so halfway through the movie I was flying off to the bathroom. By the time I returned to my seat, I was totally lost with the plot. Then I dozed off a bit until another explosion roused me.

Needless to say, I much prefer the mindless, old Batman TV series. It was campy, with clever dialogue, like: “Holy metronome, Batman! What a fate--punched into piano player rolls!” Oh, how I loved that cute little sidekick, Robin. And, gee, this new movie doesn’t even have a Robin! Which means it also doesn’t have an Aunt Harriet, the housekeeper! Is nothing sacred? Those old Batman shows were fun. The “Zap” and “Pow” fighting was genuine fakiness and I never had to have anyone explain to me what was going on. And the best part about this TV show? It’s length. Thirty minutes. "Holy Charmin tissue, Batman! No bathroom breaks required!"

6 comments:

Sarah said...

You crack me up. I hope Bo didn't mind all the questions during the movie. ;) I still haven't been able to see the movie, but in the previews I already can tell I can't stand batman's voice. I am not a big Christan Bale fan anyways.

Loni said...

Hi! I am a friend of Sarah's and found your blog through her.

Thanks for your review! I have no desire to see the movie, but now if my husband suggests it I can say, "I will just have to ask you so many questions you won't be able to enjoy it." Then maybe I can talk him in to seeing a chick flick and renting Dark Knight himself sometime instead!!

I really enjoy your blog...you are a terific, funny writer! I check it every day...so keep writing!!!

Jaime said...

Thanks for the review! As you said, it's been so hyped... I wondered if it was worth it. You've convinced me if P.W.'s dieing to watch it, I too will suggest we wait for the rental!

Anonymous said...

I loved the movie!! I thought Heath Ledger was simply the best Joker ever. I had missed the prequel though so caught it on DVD lst night. It is Batman Begins and is Christian Bale's first Batman film. I love Bale's version of a real kick-ass batman. I think Batman and Bond have gotten a little metrosexual for my tastes lately. Seeing it on the big screen in surround sound is a must. Gotham can't consume you on the regular tube. I can't wait till it gets in DVD to see it again!! But, I am off to see The Mummy today, another DC Comics fav. I wanna see the Terrra Cotta Warriors come to life!! I'd like to see Bo's review. I'd have told you to shut up. No one talks to me twice during the movies or at the ballpark. Read my review on my blog and see the dark side of the Dark Knight.

Nancy Evans said...

Oh, I agree, Diva, about Heath Ledger being so menacing, although I kept thinking..."He sounds like somebody." I finally figured out who...the late George Carlin!

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right! I found him kinda creepy too. Too funny. You always make me laugh.