Friday, January 2, 2009

BEST OF SHOW

On New Year’s Eve, Big Bore and I went to a water colors exhibit in the big city. Since neither of us can draw a straight line, we enjoy attending art shows and being amateur critics. We always try to agree on a Best of Show, and the picture above was our winner the other day. I forget what it's called, or who painted it, or how much money one would have to spring to own it---most of the 79 paintings in the show were in the $1,500-$3,000 range. Gulp!

We liked the details of the leaves in our champion painting, the reflection in the water, and the overall soothing look it had. It was actually something we would hang at home, had we expansive empty wall space and expansive bank accounts to match. For pure realism and clarity, our runner-up selection was this rodeo water color. Definitely not what I’d have hanging around the house, but the skill is amazing. It looks like a photograph.

When I was a kid, we budding grade school artists coveted a long black tin of watercolors that I think were called Prang Paints. They were just basic colors, maybe seven at the most. I’d mix ‘em with water that I’d put inside a jar lid and slash that paint brush onto paper like there was no tomorrow, slopping down some green at the bottom to represent grass, then slopping some blue at the top for the sky, and then dabbing in some red and yellow in the middle for flowers. Exquisite!

Sadly, Mama Bore never saved any of my water color masterpieces, probably because the paper curled up into a watery roll; however, she did keep a number of my crayon creations. This one below I call “Walking Down the Street on a Windy Day” (surprise), done when I was six years old. I think I must be the smaller of the two girls because if you examine the picture closely there is a bandage on one leg, obviously representing the aftermath of a battle with my big brother Beans.

If there is ever an art show around here that calls for really bad, old crayon works, I have a load of these babies ready to enter, including “Hanging Out Clothes,” “Happy Nostril Girl,” and “Why Doesn’t She Love Me?” a weeping boy wearing glasses. The Flaming Bore was quite a romantic, even at six. Although I’m sure the art connoisseurs of the world would be ripping at their wallets to whip out a few thou to own my precious artwork, I’d have to put “Not For Sale” on each of them. In my skewed mind, they’re priceless.


P.S. to Literary Diva: Are any of our paper doll dress designs still in existence? Just think--we could have been the next Donatella Versace. Damn!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your picture. LOL Whats up with their heads? Just wondering. lol

This post reminded me of when J had to take a college art class. It was histerical.

Have a great weekend!

Sarah said...

I love looking at art too. It really is neat to get to see the good stuff.

Yours is very creative.

Nancy Evans said...

Those are triangle headscarves blowing in the wind. Back in ancient times, little girls wore headscarves to keep their ponytails from flying into their faces.

Jaime said...

OH, I think you were quite the budding artist!!

The "tall girl"'s skirt is exquisite, & the dog-bone cloud really sets off the painting!

Anonymous said...

Babushkas!! Alas, I think the paper dolls never made it out of 118 So. 9th. who knows what I will find someday when I clear out my Mom's stash of goodies. I have nothing from our early years other than a couple of books, Dale Evans, Water Babies and the Bobsey Twins. Of course most of my own posessions are boxed in a shed here in Reno or stashed in a huge garage full of boxes in California. I have boxes I haven't unpacked from each of the previous 16 moves we've made. I try to change van lines each times so we can say, "The Bekins boxes are from Ct., the Atlas Van Lines ones are from Wisconsin, the Mayflower boxes are from Chicago, etc, etc.) Course the U-haul ones could be from Fredonia for all I remember. My DIL actually cleans out a few boxes with me every time I go to Ca. but I usually only go whenever she has a baby, tee hee.