Saturday, January 17, 2009

HAVIN' IT MY WAY

Last night Big Bore and I stopped in at the El Dorado Burger King for a quickie. He’s a Whopper Boy, while I’m partial to the grilled chicken. I don’t like what BK puts on it, though, (mayo, wilty lettuce, and tomato) so I always say this: “Grilled chicken sandwich with nothing on it, then give me a container of honey mustard on the side.” I mean, afterall, this is the restaurant that touts: “Have it your way.” Right?

BK is not known for its speed, but that’s all right. Big Bore and I slurped our water for 5-10 minutes, then the order arrived. But the little pack of honey mustard wasn’t on the tray, so I went back to the counter and asked for one. No sweat. What aggrieved me, however, was when I took apart the sandwich to slather on the honey mustard... only to find YELLOW MUSTARD all over the chicken and bun. I HATE yellow mustard on grilled chicken!

So, I marched back to the counter to nicely ask for a new bun and a knife to scrape off the offending yellow gunk. The little counter girl was very nice about it and took the sandwich back to the cook…who promptly glared at me and tossed the entire sandwich in the trash basket!

“All I wanted was a new bun and a knife to scrape off the mustard!” I yelled, exasperated.

The cook said something about putting a new piece of chicken breast on the griller, blah, blah, blah, wait, wait, wait.

The counter girl looked bewildered.

So, I returned to my seat to watch Big Bore eat his Whopper. Five minutes pass again, I’m called up to the counter to get the second sandwich, with apologies from the counter girl, who offers me free French fries, which I decline. I just want a plain grilled chicken sandwich. Now, I’ll add the honey mustard she gave me earlier, everybody will be happy, and I'll get on with my pleasurable $3.99 dining experience.

I take the top of the bun off….and, I’ll be damned, MORE YELLOW MUSTARD!!!!! What the hell is wrong with this cook??? I can understand the mess-up the first time around….but twice??
So, I trudged back to the counter with the yellow chicken sandwich I still didn’t want and again asked for a new bun and a knife. This time, Big Bore tagged along as my sidekick, prepared to referee any trash can fights I might instigate. The manager handed me the knife before the cook could stab me with it. Third time’s a charm.

When I got back to the table, Big Bore’s Whopper was history and I wasn’t even hungry!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow! It is not rocket science. Or is it? ha ha I hope the cook didn't spit on your chicken. I always worry about sending food back. ;(

I bet it will be awhile before you go back there.

Nancy Evans said...

Yeah, I looked it over for wayard body fluid.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the pleasures of eating at home! Makes you appreciate those big bottles of condiments at your disposal. And if the cook messes with your food you just won't give him any lovin'. My daughter in law is allergic to black pepper. I mean like if it is in her mouth, it is a quick run to the ER before she swells up. We have nearly given up on eating out at all since she came into the family. What do people not get about the fact that having pepper on her food makes her ill. she either gets to eat long after the rest of us or ends up having nothing on her plate that is not suspect. Her favorite restaurant is Macaroni Grill, as they truely do take pains to not put pepper on her food. I'm always telling her that the Lemon Passion Cake is assured not to have pepper on it so just have that! Our best bet is to eat at Chez Lewis. Who I really have sympathy for are the many, many children with food allergies. They lust after a McDonald's Children's Meal with no gluten in vain. Big Bore is gonna have to whip up a pot of beans for you soon.

Jaime said...

Oh, isn't that frustrating! I was thinking the same thing about the cook leaving a few surprises. Eeek!