Friday, January 23, 2009

GOOD SCOUTS

Here’s me pretending to be a Brownie Scout back in 4th grade. I obviously wasn’t working towards a merit badge in personal appearance the day this picture was taken. The hair and teeth are quite a fright, if you ask me. It looks like I’ve just come in from a windy grade school recess of “Run, Horse, Run.”

The reason I dare to publish this picture is to celebrate the start of the annual cookie sales for the Girl Scouts of America. Big Bore and I were hit up on opening day, Sunday, by three little gals who are sisters. Well, we didn’t dare make one or two feel left out, so, of course, we felt obligated to purchase from all of them. No sense being responsible for any sibling inferiority complexes later in life.

Now, I’ve written in this blog before that I absolutely HATED having to sell Girl Scout cookies in my heyday. I had no confidence at all and, more often than not, got rejected at many a front door. “Would you like to buy some Girl Scout cookies? They’re only 50 cents a box.” My sales pitch rarely worked, and I’d end up having to beg Mama Bore to buy a good portion of the amount I’d signed up to sell. I think the mouthful of braces must have scared off most potential buyers. Perhaps they couldn’t even understand what I was saying.

Because of the awful trauma I suffered as a Brownie, I have made it my life’s mission NOT to lower the self-esteem of any good scout. So, when these little gals showed up at Casa de la Flaming Bore a few days ago, I was ready with my spiel:

“Ding-dong”

ME: “Oh, fantastic! You’re here at last! I read about the cookie sales starting today and I was so in hopes someone would stop by this afternoon! Yay!!!”

How’s that for a start? They had to say nothing. Big Bore and I grabbed their sales sheets, and it was smooth sailing. The easiest $22.50 they could ever hope to make. And, if anymore girls show up on the porch, you can bet your cookie crumbs that they won’t leave unhappy. After all--Big Bore, Eagle Scout, circa 1970, has pledged that it is his duty to eat as many chocolate thin mint cookies as I can possibly buy!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I miss Girl Scout Cookies, frozen thin mints are to die for! They have them up here but they don't taste the same! :(

Guess thats a good way to get rid of temptation.

Enjoy your cookies, I will be drooling from afar!

Sarah said...

Yum, I don't get any girls at my house. Or I haven't yet the 4 years we have lived here. I usually have to buy from some mother at work. Not the same. ;)

Jaime said...

LOL! I hated selling those too! However, I almost shouted for joy when I got a call from my neice this week, saying sales had begun!

Since you can't refuse to buy, maybe I should send her & all of her Brownie Buddies to visit Casa de Flaming Bore ;)

j/k... I won't sabotage your waistline ;)

Anonymous said...

I finally quit Girl Scouts when I got married although my then boyfriend, now husband of 36 years, couldn't understand why I had to have my own Brownie Troop all the way through college. I thought I'd rejoin when I had kids, only to have one son. I put him in Tiger Cubs when he was five years old and he has yet to drop out even though he is 32 and a professional for Boy Scouts of America. When I turned diabetic nearly twenty years ago I had to make a decision on the GS cookies. Since then I buy some cookies and let each girl give them to some bah humbug who wouldn't buy BUT she has to come back and tell me what they said when she delivered their cookies. Has been a joy and got us plenty of laughs to hear what the little darlings had to say about my grumpy neighbors, or their own non-buying realtives. I think Karen V-bugh sold more cookies than anyone, year after year. Happy times. Sell on, Girls!

Nancy Evans said...

Oh, Diva, Karen could sell shit off a shoe...she has such a gift of gab! I like your idea of buying for the humbuggers!