Monday, January 26, 2009

SURVEYING THE LANDSCAPE


Periodically, I receive emails that are fun little personal surveys. One of the recent questions on several of them has been: "Favorite place" or "Place you'd rather be." I always type in: "Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado," and the above picture explains why.

I captured this view with my digital camera in September, 2006, when Big Bore and I were stopped along Trail Ridge Road on a crispy fall afternoon. I've been visiting RMNP since I was in college and never grow tired of the (dare I say "amazing?") vistas around each hairpin turn.

After I took this picture, I climbed up a big rock nearby, sat down, and soaked in the view before me. It was one of those "forever moments" we've all probably had, when we silently give our appreciation for being alive and able to bear witness to the beauty in the world.

I've recently converted this picture into the screen saver on my computer. Now, every time I sit down to read and write, my mind is taken away from the dismal, leafless winter that is blowing around outside my windows and brought back to that carefree Colorado day.





2 comments:

Sarah said...

What a beautiful post Nancy. I have lots of those moments and am very thankful that I can see life like that. I bet it was amazing to be there in that moment.

Jaime said...

Wow! That really is a great shot! It looks like a postcard!