Wednesday, January 14, 2009

HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Little Orphan Annie is the name that Mama Bore gave to an abandoned tabby kitten that landed in her yard about five or six years ago. “I need a cat like I need a hole in my head,” she said at the time, but Mom took care of her anyway.

Well, since Mama Bore is having back surgery Friday and will then face nursing home care and, hopefully, eventually, assisted living home care, she won’t be able to return home, which leaves the cat in a lurch. When Mom asked me take Annie to the animal shelter in Independence, I couldn’t do it. She’s not strong adoption material. Heck, she’s not even strong foster care material, either, but I brought her back home with me yesterday.

Big Bore understands the dilemma and has gamely gone along with the idea. “As long as she stays outside!” We fixed her up a sleeping and feeding area in the garage. I put a red collar on her, attached our telephone number, and let her out of our cage. Who knows if she’ll stay--we haven’t seen her this morning--but we’ll give it a try and hope she doesn’t miss her real home too much. :(

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Poor thing. ;( I hope she isn't wondering back to her old home like they sometimes do. If so that will be a long journey.

I hope you like the books when you start reading.

Unknown said...

Thinking and praying of you guys! And for Annie too!

Anonymous said...

Is that why your Mom put that red collar with your phone number on it when she sent you to college?

Not that you aren't worried enough about Mama Bore, but now it is the cat that is having to adopt to changes. Don't blame you a bit for bringing her home. Your Mom's procedure sounds great though.