Saturday, January 3, 2009

WEARING MY HAWKS ON MY SLEEVE



Big Sis got me this KU shirt and Kansas hoodie for Christmas, and I’ve practically worn them out already. Our beloved ‘Hawks are playing Tennessee later today, so you can guess what I’ll be wearing come tip-off time. I especially like the hoodie because it doesn’t show all the salsa I dripped on the left sleeve a few days ago at La Chinita’s.

Even though I graduated from Gorilla-ville, I’ve loved KU basketball since I was a kid, a loyal fan of Wilt the Stilt Chamberlain before he became a self-proclaimed sex addict. When the Hawks won the national title in 1988, I got a package of game cards of all the players and Coach Brown. It’s still wrapped in the original cellophane and is kept in one of my dresser drawers. And, of course, the 2008 NCAA championship commemorative edition of Sports Illustrated is tucked away in a safe spot.

Nowadays my excitement level during the KU games is even higher than usual since one of the players is the son of an old teaching pal. I’ve seen this kid at basketball games from the time he was a baby, so watching all 6’3” of him now scoring for the Rock Chalk boys is extra fun.

Big Bore has come to tolerate my KU basketball mania, even if he doesn’t quite understand it. As long as my overzealous cheering doesn’t result in the living room floor collapsing, he’s okay with my silliness.

So with that said, I'm going out for a pre-game walk in my new KU threads, and I end this blog with the two most important words for today: BEAT TENNESEE!!!!

3 comments:

dr. maureen said...

I'm right there with you. I even have on my "lucky underwear"---what I had on the night we won the championship in April (no jokes about laundry here). It's just as well we are separated by over 1,000 miles as neither of our men could stand it if we watched the games together. As it is, my cats often hide to get away from me screaming at the tv.

Jaime said...

Mr. S is there right now! Personally, I didn't get the competitive gene, but I enjoy seeing other people get all pumped up about it!

It is pretty awesome T.R. is from little ol' e-town! I have a feeling KU won't be his final resting place for basketball, either!

ROCK! CHALK! JAYHAWK!

Anonymous said...

We are right there with you too. As is Jason's godfather who lives in Ct. but graduated from KU many years ago. Jayhawks seem also as bad as Raider fans--well, maybe not that bad!!