Tuesday, December 16, 2008

EYE FORGOT


Big Bore's eyesight has been aging in the past few years. He can still see a deer grazing in the next county, but reading a newspaper is a challenge. He also has a pesky skin tag under his left eye that's bugging him and needs removed. So, yesterday he had an appointment with an eye doctor in Emporia. I tagged along for a Wal-Mart run afterwards and to have lunch at his favorite fast food dive, Burger King.

While he was seeing the doctor, I sat in the waiting room, reading the latest crummy, so-called mystery novel by Carol Higgins Clark. After about 45 minutes, BB emerged, took care of his co-pay at the check-out desk, and joined me.

As we put on our coats, I asked, “Did you get your skin tag removed?” I inspected his face and the silly tag was still there.

“Oh, shoot. I forgot all about that,” he said.

“You’re kidding! That was one of the things you said you needed done!” I wailed.

Big Bore didn’t want to pop a vein in front of the three other couples in the waiting room. He’s trying to stop smoking (again) and it doesn’t take much to get a rise out of him. He headed out the door, mumbling something about getting the skin tag removed some other time, me trailing after him, rolling my eyes.

“I can’t believe you forgot to ask him about that,” I said, once we got out in the hallway.

“Well, I did. Just drop it.”

We didn’t get 5 yards down the hall when I said, “I'll be right back.”

I returned to the eye doc’s office, and as I opened the door I overheard the husbands talking about what they’d just witnessed….the typical scene of the little woman ragging her forgetful partner.

“Okay. Get ready for a bigger laugh!” I loudly announced. “I left my billfold on the end table!”

An uproar ensured. I grabbed my billfold, rolled my eyes again, and hustled out the door to join up with Big Bore.

“Had to get my billfold,” I readily admitted. He rolled his eyes. Needless to say, my big flapping mouth hasn’t uttered a single word about the skin tag since.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL.

I hate it when I forget to talk to the dr about something I told myself not to forget. Its frustrating. Maybe he can go see his family dr. to get it removed.

Jaime said...

Hmph, men! What would they do without us! They may call it nagging, but we're just helpful! Whether or not they admit it (or know it) they appreciate it ;)

Sarah said...

Like my mom always says. Make a list for the Dr. ;)

Keep nagging, it will sink in.

dr. maureen said...

go to your Family Physician. he/she can remove that easily. you can always bring BB to NC for me to cut on him...