Tuesday, December 2, 2008

IT'S BEGINNING....


It’s beginning to look and sound a little, not a lot, like Christmas around the Flaming Bore household. I bought this small red and yellow hybrid poinsettia at Stone Creek Nursery last week and set it next to my wooden soldier, who has a scarred face from being in a battle last year--actually a fall from the high shelf in the closet when I was trying to put him away. He’s been pressed back into service, though, and is ready to stand guard over the living room for another holiday season.

This morning I decided to play my Mannheim Steamrollers Christmas CD to add some festivity to the household, but I was in for a shock when I opened the plastic case. Led Zeppelin was inside!!! Oh, no!!! For some reason, “A Whole Lotta Love” was just not gonna cut it, so I made the big search for the Steamrollers, going through stacks and stacks of CD cases to find it. When I got down to the last three CDs and had about given up hope, Eureka!, there it was. So, I put it in the CD player and guess what?! It has a scratch on it! Humbug!

Trying to get into the Christmas spirit isn't going much better for Big Bore at work. One of his cohorts played the Chipmunks Christmas song at work yesterday. You’ve all heard Alvin, Simon, and Theodore rip the air with their odd, teeny voices.

“Alvin. Alvin. AL-VIN!!!”

“OKAY!!!”

Well, BB thought it was OKAY hearing the Chipmunks’ song the one time, but when the coworker hit the re-play button, dissension filled the room. He said one gal told him Alvin was gonna mysteriously end up in the waste basket if she had to hear him for a third round.

“We can hardly stand to wait. Please, Christmas, don’t be late.”



4 comments:

Unknown said...

The Alvin and the Chipmunks xmas cd is always annoying no matter how many times you hear it. I agree with that person, the cd would go missing very fast. The plant looks heavily guarded. LOL
I have always loved nutcrackers, my granny use to always put hers out.

As for the castle, we will probably have to put some of it together and put the little furniture sets in the rooms. But it shouldn't be too hard, or atleast thats my goal.

Sarah said...

I would love to have a poinsettia, but they are poision if you eat them. My cats like to eat plants. ;)

dr. maureen said...

interestly enough we have one cat (George) who LOVES poinsiettas---and eats them whenever we have them. at first i worried, because i'd also heard they were poisonous---but george is the veteran of numerous Christmases and seems to consider those plants some sort of Christmas treat.

so go ahead---report me to the Humane Society!!!

Anonymous said...

The Chipmunk's How We Roll is one of my favorite songs, since my grandaughter plays the video about three times a day when she is here. Hey? Aren't your cats in danger with the poinsettia? I adore them but am even hesitant with my dachshund. Unfortunately, my Christmas cactus got confused and it was a Thanksgiving cactus this year but it did have over 80 blooms on it, so I won't fuss. The kumquat, also an indoor plant now, is putting on small fruit too.