Wednesday, December 17, 2008

MY NEW PEACE OF ROCK


Last week, a box of Christmas goodies arrived from my pal, converted North Carolinian Dr. Maureen and her more southern husband Scott. Included was a copper peace sign. I’m not sure she knew how I would use it, but, she wrote, “It reminds me of you,” probably recalling our college days.

When we worked together on the yearbook and newspaper staffs, my hippie dippy fashion sense was basically bottom-of-the-barrel, second-hand store attire, accessorized by a clunky, silver peace sign necklace, and homemade “love beads” and beaded bracelets. Since she was a classy sorority chick (Alpha Delta Pi), I was likely the closest thing she knew to a weedy flower child. It’s a wonder she even spoke to me, but we became fine friends, staging mock ice hockey rumbles in the curved hallway between the newspaper office and the Gorilla Den, where we loaded up on cookies and coffee for inspiration. We tried growing new and improved staff reporters from the leftovers, but that’s another story.

Well, when I opened up the peace sign present, I knew exactly what to do with it. I would attach it to a cool rock I brought home from Arkansas last month. It’s flat on one side, providing the perfect surface for placement. Big Bore hauled the rock inside for me a few days ago, so I could let it dry and then attach the piece of peace with Velcro. Voila! Instant yard art!

But, since it’s cold and snowy and dismal now, I decided that my new rockin’ rock should just stay out of the elements for a while. I figure we can admire it in the living room…up until the unfortunate point when Big Bore stubs a big fat toe on it and the peaceful atmosphere suddenly fills with #%$&@! expletives.

Peace out!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is soo cool. You will be the most 70's inspired house on the block.

Sarah said...

What a good idea. That will look rockin in your garden this summer.