Monday, December 15, 2008

SKI BUNNY

Every once in a great while, I have to remind myself that I used to have a love affair with cold weather and would merrily skip off to Colorado to go skiing. These pics were taken during rest stops at Loveland Basin in 1980 and Winter Park in 1984. I never advanced to the black diamond nail-biter trails, but I was able to ski most intermediate ones. Besides Loveland and WP, I also hit up Copper Mountain, Keystone, Breckenridge, Eldora, and Steamboat Springs during my ski bunny years. None of that fancy Aspen or Vail stuff, though.

My adventures to the slopes ended with back surgery in 1997--not due to a skiing injury but from overestimating how much homework I could haul home to grade over the previous Christmas break. Oops. My bad.

I think I might be okay at cross country skiing, if I ever again got the urge to subject my body to freeze mode. For now, I’m content to stay inside on cold days, ride my exercise bike, listen to some classic rock, and slurp on hot apple cider. The scenery isn’t as awesome, of course, but the temperature is just right.













































8 comments:

Unknown said...

I HATE skiing. It has to be the worst sport ever! I was no good at it and enjoyed falling down in the snow piles more than staying upright.

Sarah said...

I have never been skiing. I would love to try. My sister was always lucky to have friends who took her on Spring breaks.

Jaime said...

That sounds & looks like soo much fun!! I've never been skiing, but always wanted to. However, I'm quickly deciding warmth overrules fun...

Nancy Evans said...

Oh, just looking at the pictures makes me want to try it again...for about 10 minutes.

Nancy Evans said...

Oh, just looking at the pictures makes me want to try it again...for about 10 minutes.

dr. maureen said...

hey nanc!

how about your fine ice skating days!! remember the time you forced me out on the rink so the little kids could knock me down??? you were mary lou retton by comparison.

dr. maureen said...

okay---so mary lou = wrong sport. i just can't spell those ice skater names.....

Nancy Evans said...

How about Kristi Yamaguchi? No, no. I was the Nancy Kerrigan to your Tonya Harding! Right? Yes, I recall you clinging for your life to the ice rink sideboarding. Your dainty ankles were just not made for ice skating!